I saw a mower blow yesterday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TandM, May 11, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I was mowing yards all day yesterday on my cub I started at 8 in the morning and it was 2 in the afternoon at 95 degrees 100% humidity down here in southeast georgia. I was on my 6th yard of the day when I saw another company pull up and they had a lazer z with a liquid cooled kawi. We were cutting yards of the same size on the same size decks and we started at the same time. At about 20 minutes of mowing I look over at him mowing and the mower is smoking a little I said oh S@#t it is gonna blow! sure enough 1 minute later and I saw coolant flyin and the guy did not notice. (IPOD) So I hopped off the Z and stopped him to find the mower so hot if he had kept it running 10 seconds longer a fire would have broke out. Then the coolant or something cought on fire. And burned the mower pretty bad we got it out with the garden hose. That was scary it was a new lazer too. I will now be carrying a fire extinguisher at all times on my mower. It burned the grass too. Glad I got him off in time.

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

dude, thats crazy. he could have died, but thanks to your super skills he didnt!!!! did it make a loud noise???

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, I wonder what happened to make it overheat like that? Fire extinguishers are a good thing to have one a mower but where do you mount one to be accessible? The only plces i could see would maybe get bumped all the time and may accidently discharge the unit.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

oooo....that sucks

5. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

It just sort of popped and then it went up in flames and the guy did not die thanks to me.

6. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I guess you saved the day:) What did the guy say to you after? Thank you I hope.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm, I wonder how they'll try to weasel out of honoring the warranty...