I saw a scrub today....w/ a CAST on his leg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, May 17, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I had a friend come in from out of town and decided to take the weekend off. We were driving around garage selling for the heck of it and I wish I had my camera to take a picture of all the scrubs.

Out of all of them I had to laugh when I passed the teenager with the toyota 4runner w/ an old beat up trailer. As I passed the yard he was mowing, which happened to be somewhat small, I noticed he was limping due to the fact that he was wearing a CAST on his leg. Something that would have taken me 15 minutes to mow was taking him one hour.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Don't know his situation so it's hard to comment. At least he was trying to service his customers lawn. Some guys would have just left their customer hi and dry and not even show up. From what you said, seems like he may have been down on his luck. I don't like to make fun of people having a hard time.
    If you were to have a cast on your leg, do you have enough resources and a backup plan to service your customers?

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Or maybe only the scrubs can take a weekend off during the busy season. Besides i thought scrubs were the ones that were unreliable. Sounds like he is reliable.

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

you should have seen me back in late september, i was covered in beach towels cutting my lawns looking like a indian with a turbin. in august i was in a fire and sustained third degree burns and my face arms and chest could not be exposed to sunlight because it could perminately scar my skin. sometimes people have to do what they have to do to stay in biz or keep their customers. i'm sure some people thought i was nuts!

5. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

1majorTom,

Thank you for expressing your concern as to the unforseeable future of my well being. All of my ducks are in a row and my business objectives have been carefully planned out. I do not recall "making fun of" this particular individual, but rather merely remarking on how unprepared he was to his own well being.

Lawnman_scott,

If you are suggesting that I myself am a scrub I am happy to know that you must be one of the only individuals from Lawnsite that is fully aware of what my situation consists of. On the other hand, I shall refute your remark due to the fact that I am licensed, insured, and prefer to have my weekends to spend with my wife and unborn child. I fully believe that you should seperate work and family and should not let your work consume your own personal time. My wife is a chemical engineer at a nuclear weapons complex and works 60 hours a week. What little time we spend together is very precious. I work full time mowing, work full time at my other job, and I just finished another semester of college (full - time). With 35 weekly accounts I guess you could say that is definately unreliable...I'd like to think your statement was an illogical fallacy.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Whoa trigger...I think you did say that you were laughing at him. His trailer ragged looking? So your not a scrub if you own a new trailer? You were actually driving around (your words here) taking pictures of "scrubs"? So a non-scrub seeks out scrubs and takes photos of them? Is there some reward for the most number of scrub photos? Am I missing something?

7. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

At one time I would have laughed about the "handicaped" cutting lawn in a cast, but that isn't so funny these days. Yesterday marked 5 months since I broke my left heal in a work place accident. The last 2 1/2 weeks I've been doing light duty on crutches as I slowly put full body weight back onto my foot as I start to walk again. Wow, what a good feeling!

Yes, I am quite the sight hobbling around to put in a few hours of weeding, an activity I would normally hate to do; or doing irrigation repair. I have to take my wife with me as I bid properties: she is my legs, and I am the brian.

Even if the guy were a scrub, I agree with the logic: he isn't letting his customer down and he should be given an "A" for effort. And he may sweating the fact that he is losing money on an activity that would have taken less time.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

JCR 17 I'm not sure what your point is. I would be hard pressed to keep my accounts if I were to get hurt as I work as a solo or with a part time helper. I have the good fortune of having a wife that works so we would not lose the house or not put food on the table but maybe that is not the case with this person. I respect a person who works through adversity. He could stop working- collect welfare- and laugh at you as you support him.

This country is made up of many different people, in many different stages of life-income-prosperity. As you look down ( and by your own words-laugh), remember that there are those who can look down on you.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Stephen, Does your wife know that you are saying she does not have a brain? Sorry just kidding. Getting punchy at 3am. Good luck with the foot.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

JC, if you think its funny that this poor guy had to work with a cast on his leg, I pity you more than him.