I saw a sign that said Brickpaving $10.00 a sq foot...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MJK, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys think that he is charging 10 a sq foot on just labor, or just materials, or for the whole project? I don't charge by the square foot, but I’m trying to figure out how he charges his jobs to see how I would be competitive, what do you guys think?

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's just labor. There's no way he could charge $10/sq ft all-in, materials cost atleast $7-8 for a cheapo brick.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the job. Some jobs i can do for 10 bucks a foot. Others i can do for 25 bucks a foot. Depends on conditions.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not that I charge by the square foot but it is a way to try and compare pricing...

Where I am at there are a few companies going around that are charging between 10-12 per square. I'm in the 17-23 range. I don't know if I can get my materials for less than 10 a square. The basic paver costs me between 3-5 per square then you add everything else in, forget it, you approach 10 quickly. Needless to say I didn't get the job/s. What are you gonna do...win some lose some.

The best is when the customer calls me and says they like me better and I seem to know a little more, blah, blah, blah and then its followed by "Can you match the price?" or "Can you do any better on your price?" I explain why my pricing is where its at and show them the plans again on depth of base, proper restraint, my warranty, etc. My point is, I won't price match or move my numbers just to compete with another company. I'm not going to do work for cost or lower my profit margin just for the sake of being competive.

5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with above. They might be able to do it, but they're taking a shortcut with materials, workmanship, and profit.

6. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

So you guys are saying that this person is charging 10 bucks per sq foot for install only? Then add the price of pavers?

7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that's everything. You can buy a cheap crap paver for around $1.25/. SF. There was a guy at a home and garden show here who told me he'll do driveways all day for $5.50/SF- prep, base, pavers, cleanup, done. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be referring any work his way ;)

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

5.50 a square foot may be low but 10 bucks a sq ft would not be low for a 10k sq ft driveway herringbone pattern.

The whole reason to not price by the square foot is because you will lose your butt on the small jobs and not sign the big jobs because you will most likely be to high.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Theres guys around here doing them for $8sqft, including material. Little to no base whatsoever. I hear it all the time on estimates.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

$10 is easily doable .....this is a $10/sq ft job. 300 sq ft total.

2 guys one day. I dont get many like this but i'd do these all day everyday.
    This is the cheapest paver Unilock sells ...$1.99 Gravel $17 delivered, concrete sand, edging, poly sand, labor....Do the math.

Picture 001.JPG