i saw the fastest cleanup done today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Dec 16, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

it was 4 guys that had to be there about 35 minutes and thats about it.i was doing the house next door the property is about a half acre that took me 2 hours they had more leaves then me theres was done in half hour.check this setup.one guy with a backpack one with a walk behind blower two guys with rideons .WHILE THE GUYS ARE BLOWING EVERYTHING OUT OF BEDS IN TO A HUGE PILE ONE GUY WITH THE SIT DOWN RIDEON WAS MULCHING IT THE OTHER RIDEON ON WAS STAND ON WITH A LEAF CATCHER IS RIGHT BEHINND BAGGING LEAVING NOT A TRACE IN SIGHT OF LEAFS THEY HAD ABOUT 4 LANDSCAPE GARBAGE CANS IT WAS AMAZING ...ANY OF U GUYS GOT IT THIS GOOD IM JEALOUS...

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Lets see...................it took them 140 minutes to your 120. LOOKS LIKE YOU BEAT EM'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you kept all your money.

Homer

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

PERSONALLY, I prefer to take about a half day when I'm working by myself.

these run and gun operations spend way to much time loading and unloading all that equipment just to work 35 minutes!;)

GEO

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree homer and geogun, I saw a company like this, it looked pretty impressive but when you figure actual dollars of multiple crew persons and equiptment, travel time for crew, I think a one man operation comes out a lot better. I would like to hire employees to do the hard stuff, but I like to have all money made for myself,on mowing or other jobs multiple crew members might work out.

5. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

How many of those leaf jobs could you do in a day?
    4 maybe but I'm sure you would be dog tired. That other crew could possibly do 13 in the same time assuming they are close.
    Say for round numbers you charge 40/hr at the end of an 8 hour day you gross $320 thats all in your pocket minus a few bucks for daily expenses.
    The other crew assuming he charges $40/hr would gross $1280
    His labor costs for the 3 men depending on how much he pays could be $300 to $400. Just say it costs him $400 for that day in labor. That would leave him with $880 to cover his daily operating expenses and his salary.There are a lot of
    other factors to take into consideration. But you can see the big difference in potential net income with a faster more efficient crew.
    I'll bet that he won't be as tired at the end of the day as you are.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you but....................how many days of the month are you going to do 13?
    13x5=65x4weeks=260 yards! Who has that many on here? Some days of the month I see those guys sittin' at home.

Solo operation:

4yds a day x 5 days = 20 yards a week x 4 weeks = 80 yards a month x $50.00 per yard = $4000.00

Add 20 more if you want to work on Saturdays and there's another $1000.00

Not a bad month for being a yard boy.

These are more realistic numbers.

Homer

7. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how about this maybe make all your cleanups for one day a week that u know b4 time and use the crew for that one day each week than whatever comes in during the week thats small do it yourself but big jobs save for that one day a week with the crew.i made 2oo hundred they made that or probally more in a half hour thats really good money i wish i had headaches like that .its just organizing them in a row but if you dont have the work to be done like myself i only did about 30 or so cleanups this year.that would be like to days work for them.i met a guy like two weeks ago he had to be about fiftey years old he said he was around his 300th cleanup and works with another guy his age two i saw.i felt depressed ...thats like somewere around 30 grand

8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I use pretty much the same setup as the 4 man crew that u were talking about except I just use myself and one other guy..We do most clean-ups in about an hour..I've picked up a rake twice this year and that was just to get some pine needles up..The average charge for my clean-ups is around $100-$150..We can do 5-6 a day.During clean-ups my daily gross is around $700 with about $100 in labor..Works pretty well so far..Clean-Cut

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Ron, I've done some clean ups in a simular way. I have two Grasshopper's, but only one with a bagger. The first mower side-discharges and the mower with the bagger runs next to the first. This way I can use 2 mowers on leaf jobs.

10. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Homer I'm not disagreeing with you 4k per mo isn't bad money for a yard boy. Everyone has their own comfort zone that they are looking for as far as income. I realize that a lot of the members here are solo operators or have one or two helpers. I'm one of them but hope to expand big time next season.
    I look to this board for help on expansion and watch my competition. I know of lanscape companies that have several hundred customers. Don't knok what they do when you see how smooth they operate, admire an learn.
    I would like to here from more memebers who operate larger crews or multiple crews.