I saw this, should I tell the company.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j9sheldon, Jul 28, 2004.

1. j9sheldon

j9sheldon LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,
    I own a part time LCO. While on lunch from my full time job, I saw a crew member of another LCO drinking a beer at lunch. Now, I am not trying to get him fired or try to do bad things to the competition. All I am saying is I would want to know if one of my employees did these. Seems to me it could be a huge liability issue with insurance. Just want some opinions on what you guys might do. Should I report it or stay out of it. I just don't want the industry we work in get a bad rep or maybe he causes an accident and hurts or kills someone. This company in know way competes with me, lets just say its one of the biggest in the nation.

thanks in advance
    Jody
    owner
    Land Artisans
    Austin, TX

2. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

i would call the company and tell on him.

3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know. I dont drink, but just cause a guy has one beer at lunch doesnt mean its the end of the world. If you saw the guy sitting in the truck smoking pot then yeah call the boss. 1 beer will not get you drunk, where on joint will get you high. In alot of places people will drink beer or wine at lunch. Its one of those things thats in a real gray area. If you saw him at a job going to the truck and drinking then yeah thats bad, but a beer at lunch I dont see too much wrong with that. I have seen a few guys that carry a cooler around and drink beer all day while mowing - now that I have a problem with, but those guys just mow for beer and drug money any way and those are scrubs to me. As far as liability well eveything is a liability in these days of sue em and get the insurance money. If the guy is a hard worker and doesnt ef up and shows up on time and is honest - then I would not have a problem with a mature adult having a beer at lunch.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I really don't see it as a grey area at all. In today's world, alcohol is not considered acceptable in the workplace. Especially around machinery! That said, if I saw it I would probably shake my head and roll my eyes, but unless I saw it as a blatant danger, as in, say, they're mowing a school yard, I wouldn't call.

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Come on,Your older than 10. It's not your business. What another company does or there employees is up to them.Let it be.
    By the way I don't drink on the job so I am not defending the guy.

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I would definitely have a word with his employer...even if you did it anonymously. As far as what the Mayor said in my opinion is wrong, what he does is your business to a certain extent. He only saw him drinking 1 beer, heck that beer may have been his 6th or his 1st of 6, you never know. Let this guy drive around after he's had a few too many and end up hurting or worse yet killng someone and tell us then that it was none of his business.

-Brandon

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yup.

chances are, if I guy can't wait until quittin' time to have a cold one, isn't just gonna have ONE cold one at lunch.

jmo

8. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

stay out of it.........not your problem

9. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Its good for you b/c now your competition is weaker. Just give way when you see them on the road!!!

10. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Let's see...

Is he a mowing professional? After all, it is one of the largest companies in the nation, right? Look at it this way. Would you mind if your surgeon had a beer prior to operating on you?

Turn the loser in!