1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I screwd up "HELP"

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some help guys. I am not in the Biz just a homeowner. I just recently fertilized my yard with crab grass preventer, about three weeks ago. I did this before I seeded, an I just found out this may prevent the seed from germinating. Is this true??. If so what can I do???. I thatched the yard in the fall last year and it tore everything out and basically left dirt. What to do...
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes it is true. You can't put down pre-m, then expect seed to sprout.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well after all this rain u may be ok as the pre m may have washed out
    time will tell u have to wait
  4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

If You Put Down The Seed Relatively Soon After The Crabgrass Pre-, I Don't Think You'll Get Any New Grass On The Lawn. In About 4 Weeks You Can Put Down More Seed With A Starter Fert.
  5. Capemay Eagle

Fortunately I have not seeded yet, I put down the pre-m aobut three weeks ago. Today I put down starter Fert because I was going to seed tomorrow. When I started reading the bags I discovered that I did the steps backwards. I guess this is how you learn.
  6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Crabgrass controls generally work by forming a barrier at the soil surface. You will get some germination of grass seed if you work up the soil surface, thus breaking the barrier. I'm talking about heavy raking or lite cultivation. Your crabgrass control will not be effective if you decide to do this.
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

As earlier posts said, rake heavily, or drag harrow to break up the film, then seed and water well, then put down Tupersan for crabgrass control-it kills the lighter crabgrass seed, yet allows fescue to germinate.
  8. Capemay Eagle

I broke out my tine thatcher and set it low and basically took all the front yard to dirt. It was all weeds anyway so it is not that big a deal. I seeded according to the bag directions. Hope for the best. I really only used 1 bag of Scotts crab grass preventer to begin with, would that be enough to really prevent grass seed from germinating??I have used no chemicals so far, just bag ferts..
  9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

as previously mentioned, break up the soil real good.

Also, get yourself some activated charcoal; it will deactivate the pre-emergent. Lesco sells a product called Charzorb that works good. It's a liquid and needs to be sprayed. You'd probably want to do this before you break up the soil. However, the charcoal might also reduce the effectiveness of a future Tupersan (siduron) application, but I'm not positive.
  10. Capemay Eagle

Where can I get this product. I really only have a Lowes and A Home Depot that sells lawn and Garden around here. Would they have this..