I see potential but good help is biggest issue.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Apr 23, 2013.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I get phone calls everyday for estimates and acquire 1 to 2 new account every week and have some commercial properties but my biggest challenge is hiring the right people. I have the same issues with everybody. I have to drive 30 minutes one way to pick him up and drop him off. I have to always go behind them no matter how I show them. As a result this causes me to do double work, I get very fatigued, and demotivated to continue. How do you other lawn care guys manage situations like this.

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he needs the scissors

3. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

X2 on that. No way would I be chauffering employees around.

4. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I would not be driving topics him up 30 minutes away in the first place.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is the number one reason I stayed Solo for all these years... I don't need another twenty jobs to pay the additional expense of EMPLOYEES... :)

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Our employment ad says, you must have your OWN transportation. Yes, own is in all caps in the ad. If they don't we don't hire them
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

The guy that's a half hour away, can't drive and needs to have everything redone is not "the right people". That's unemployable in most situations, so why are you catering to him? If your need is people with better skills and reliability locally, you may need to look at what you charge and your business model to make sure it's accommodating the skill level you need.