I see some good $ from frost damage

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 11, 2010.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I drove around today and a lot of my accounts showed significant signs of frost damage. A lot of plants (Croton Mammy/schefflera) look like a total loss. Hopefully we can make some decent money this spring replacing plants.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i was thinking the same thing! i have one customer who called today about replacing 15 orange trees tht dont look like there gunna make it!

3. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

It's still to early to tell the damage but that could be the one upside here. Many of these plants will simply need cut back in a month or so but others are just done

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

the crotons and hibiscus in my yard are done! o well new design for spring

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Very sad... I'm sure it's pretty brown and ugly down there right now huh?

6. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

but but but I thought global warming wouldnt let it get that cold ROFLMAO

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

global warming is supposed to change ocean currents and put us into an ice age. Well here we are.

8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Yeah it actually is pretty bad. Last year I replaced over 10k worth of palms that just can't take these temps.

Most of the christmas palms and royal palms that grow well in florida can't take a hard frost without proper precautions. It seems most of my customers let their palms go unprotected and as a result die.

9. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

This could be an up sell service. We'll take care of the frost blankets for xxx.xx

10. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thats a good idea provide a forst blanket (not just bed sheets) and install and remove for a fee.

Although it would suck if you lost a 60ft Royal. I had a neighbor lose one 2 yrs ago even with frost blankets and all, turned brown and died.