I see Zoysia in my future..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 7, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

We have a few Zoysia lawns around here and they are the best! Last week while at Stone Mountian I took this photo of the main lawn. Keep in mind this grass gets 1000's of people walking on it daily and at night it is totally covered with 1000's of people and lawn chairs 7 days a week. The toughest grass I have ever seen, like a carpet!

For those of you who maintain Zoysia what is your opinion of this grass. I'm aware in my area I will need to overseed with Rye in winter for color, any other comments?

[​IMG]

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia sucks here in the Ohio Valley as a turfgrass. In the Fall, it turns brown during dormancy and has a voracious spreading habit. So, if one neighbor installs it, soon folks on both sides will see it encroach into their yards as well...

That creates opportunities for painting dormant turf I guess :)
    Mostly I see it in old peoples' yards for some reason. I think maybe that's because several years ago they may have fallen for the inflated promises/benefits of sprigging or sodding zoysia.

Zoysia produces a lot of thatch as well and is considered high maintenance. Benefits are as you said its toughness and it's ability to be cut relatively low.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It's the first grass to go dormant and the last to green up. If you can keep it cut short it looks good. Will need dethatching at least every other year. Grows very dense and like the man said, your neighbors will either love it or hate it, cause their gonna see it in their yard soon enough.

I have one account that never waters, never fertilizes. I have to chase it down to cut it. I have another that uses a chem company, I have to inflate my tires to get the deck high enough! I guess it should be somewhere in between. It is one of the slowest accounts I have, I bag it. It is also one of the better looking when I finally get done with it.

Bottom line, pretty but high maintenance.

4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

As for me I would like to have zoysia at my house. I like the way it looks.
    how ya been Homer? It has been awhile. Hope all is well.

5. HOMER

Bout dead..............but gettin er done. oops, that's somebody elses line!

6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

huh...suprising comments.

I have found and read the Zoysia is very low maintenance. The aggressive dense growth will crowd out weeds and other grasses so there is less worry for herbicides. In fact it takes away from my gross revenue since it is a slow growing grass. Generally it is not recommended that Zoysia be overseeded with ryegrass, but yes it will turn golden brown in the fall. It is however the first warm season grass to recover in the spring.

7. George777

from Alabama

this heat is a trip. Little warmer I think where ya at. Todays temp 98. I only did my own lawn and it about spanked my butt.

8. HOMER

Not in Alabama!

Spring green up as follows:

Bahai
    Centipede
    St. Augustine
    Bermuda
    Zoysia

That's how it is here if memory serves me correct.........which might be a whole different problem in itself.

9. George777

from Alabama

Zoysiagrass is so thick that weedds rarely penetrate it. It so prone to thatch and it is difficult to mow. I found that out the hard way. First time cutting a customers yard I had the deck to low and was wondering why the mower was sounding funny. I looked back and said ooops.
    I like the turf myself, but Homer is right it is a high maintenance turf.

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I have about a half acre of Zoysia (front yard).

It does green up late and turns brown early.

Very drought resistant (still emerald green when the nieghbors lawns are toast). And no pests at all.

It does thatch and like Homer said requires de-thatching every couple of years. I'll do mine every spring as it need it.

The turf has to be maintained to keep it happy and thus weed-free.

I've owned this house for only two years and killed off a lot of white dutch clover this summer. There was also a few plantains and dandelions.

The people we bought the house from did not give a rat's patootie about this lawn and it was neglected (not fed, aereated, de-thatched and was cut about every 3 weeks) since 1960....yep...40 years! I would say that Zoysia is one TOUGH turf. A little Scott's Weed and Feed Plus Turf Builder in early March and little Spectracide "Weed Stop" in late April and the lawn bounced back great! When I cut at 1 1/2" it looks like a putting green! My neighbors are freaked out about how the yard shined up with so little effort. My next door neighbor has had Creeping Red Fescue in his yard for a long time and the Zoysia has not invaded it at all...but I don't know why. :D

Zoysia? I love it! (Even if I have to cut it every 3 or 4 days.)