1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"I should of called"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Apr 9, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

Now earlier this spring I sent out letters to all my customers stating when I would be starting cleanups and fertilization. If there were any ? to call me. Well i never herd from this lady. Today I pulled up and started cleanup and dethatching. When I was about half completed she came home and immediately ran over to me. "I meant to call you....I am going to have my son in law do my lawn this year". Now go back in time for a sec and know that this son in law was doing her lawn last year when i got the call to take over because he didn't want to do it any more. Anyways I told her fine. Just pay me for the time i was here and she could do it herself for all i care. "I don't have any money." I said well you better get some and pay me. Just then her daughter came home and had to pay me. As I was leaving she asked me "If something happens will you come back and take over." SURE>>>>> I said, but my prices just doubled.:angry:
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Did you ask her, "Wasn't this the son in law that failed to do the work for you last year and that is the reason that I took over?"
  3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

no i didnt....i just packed up the truck, collected my money and went home
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I wouldnt double your rate, thats gay. Just let this be the last time. Don't be a tard about it and double your rate. You got paid for your time, and you will be hearing from them again shortly I'm sure.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Didn't your title say "I should have called". Yep you should have. You're gonna tell me that you sent somebody a letter and to you if they don't respond, that seals the deal. And you want to double your price if they call you back. You need to step back, take a breath and regroup. I think you are lucky you got out of there with any money at all. If it was my house and i was out or on vacation, you probably would have recieved enough change for a coffee.
    Take it in stride and learn from it.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with High Grass. If you read rmartin's thread he said "Well i never herd (LS does have spell check, try it) from this lady". Does this equate to 'I have the account, go ahead and do what needs to be done?' or maybe it means more like, maybe I should follow up and call this lady. You should've made it clear in your letter that they should call you to confirm that they want your services for the upcoming season. Old saying......If you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Since when, when you send out letters and not hear back, does this NOT mean comfirmation? We can not be expected to send out letters, and make calls to every single customer just to "confirm" that we are still doing the place. For me, that would be over 100 phone calls, and for some of on here that have 400+ accounts, it would be a mere impossibility. If they don't contact you to cancel, that is THEIR fault! If you've been servicing a place for years, it is up to them to make the change. We are services, not beggars. On my service agreements, it is stated that:
    Our services are on a clientele basis, and are a continued service from season to season. Any changes or cancellations should be done by written or verbal notice, otherwise service is continued.
    However, even without this in the service agreement, if written notices are sent out, that is well enough. We cannot be expected to bother the customers in demanding that they get back with us, either by phone or by letter. Many people (atleast ones that I work for (doctors and attorneys, especially) are too busy to be bothered with that. The only time they need to converse, is if there is a problem, or they want additional services. Other than that, they want a minimum of inconvenience.
  8. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

this customer had told me this past fall that she loved the way we cared for her lawn and landscaping and couldnt wait to see us back this spring. I dont have 400 accounts like some may but I still do not have time to call everyone back that I send out letters to. Plus all my customers have been told and signed an agreement that if you want to cancel I must be notified by phone and certified mail. She had over a month to call. If you cant have the descency to pick up the phone to make a 1 min call than thats not my fault. You know It always seems that when "us" small guys write in a small issue it's like we are on trial. I just thought I'd share an experience related to this profession. Next time i'll just tell my dog. She seems to have a little more personality than some from here.
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I agree with runner.
    I start in fall on all my leave behinds saying "For those of you who arent scheduled for further treatments, I would like to thank you again for using my service.
    Also, please be reminded that while every attempt will be made to contact you over winter, this is a continuous service and In will return in spring unless I am notified otherwise."

I put that on two letters before the season ends and then again on proposals that I mail out over winter.

Most are good about this. But there are always a few who say Gee I forgot to call. My husband is going to feed the lawn this year. (Usually after they just watched me do it.)
    In these cases I remind customers of those letters and I tell them that I do expect to be paid for that visit.
  10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with the guys, I always send out letters and if a customer does not call back, then I call them to confirm, last thing I want to do is clean-up a mess that I'm not gonna get paid for. They have the right to not pay you if nothing was confirmed. By the way, we are not trying to lynch you, we are simply offering you future advice, I run a small operation also, but I have learned alot by mistakes I have made and many times the right advice has come from the guys at this site, so if you don't want true advice then don't ask for it here.