I shouldn't go on EBay late at night...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well I dont know what I was thinking..maybe it was the beer, maybe I was just tired. I sold my 8N last month because it was takin up space and didnt do the work i had hoped it would. So i bought this, it will mainly be used for hay on a friends farm but we will also put it to use molboarding fields this fall and spring and I will probably throw a rear blade on it for snow this winter...i'll get more pictures when i go to pay for it monday, and then when I pick it up at the end of October.

68243688_o.jpg

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Gas or diesel? Dad sold his 3020 diesel with loader and cab this past winter. Was a good tractor. Did have a whole lot of use for it anymore. They updated tractors.

3. Dirt Digger2

from PA

its a gas motor...i wanted a diesel but couldnt pass this one up...it will join the fleet of a 4020 diesel, 4700 w/loader, and a mess of John Deere mowers...another farmer around here has a 3020 gas powershift and that thing is great so i think this one will do what i need it to

4. LindblomRJ

The front axles on the 20s were not the strongest. If there is a loader you really need to be careful.

Looks like your is a synco range. For loader work I liked it a lot. Almost as good a shuttle shift.

5. Dirt Digger2

from PA

no it doesnt have a loader and never will...i would have really liked to get a powershift because its going to be used in the field with a disk, haybine, baler, etc... so the powershift wold have been nice, but sync shift is just as fine...its what the 4020 has

hey lindblom any idea what these things wiegh w/o a loader?...im guessing around 7000lbs...i'm going to pick it up with a 250 diesel and a 10K deckover trailer, and i think that should be fine...just debating whether or not i should take the 10wheeler Pete with a backhoe trailer...

6. LindblomRJ

I am guessing 500 LBS of weights on the front. 7 or 8 K total weight. The 4020 was about 10,000 LBS.

When I was cutting hay with a Hesston 1040 Hydroswing the 3020 could keep up. Synco was pretty nice, if get into a tought area shift it down in the low range, once life is good again back into upper range.

From what I understand you would not want a gas powered 3020 with powershift. My understanding was there was not enough power for it to get out of its own way.

Good find.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a nice looking old 3010. That series along with the 20 series is one of the best Deere ever built. The old 8n's where good machines if taken care of but a person must realize there not a big tractor by any means. If you dont mind me asking what did you give for it? What is the hours?

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad it didn't come in RED. :drinkup:

9. Dirt Digger2

from PA

its a 3020...i am writing a check on monday for $4300...the tach and hour meter still work so unless the old owner disconnected it for some reason the 2580 hours is original which is nothing for those machines

i plan on taking all the panels off this coming spring and giving it a good coat of paint, so besides for that everything is in top shape...i'll find out for sure when i go pay for it monday

10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I must be blind tonight to not see that was a 3020. Oh well, it must be late. Yeah, those hours are low for that tractor if they are actual. I love the old red ones my self also ksss. Nothing like the sound of an old 1066 with a straight pipe at night. I been wanting an old IH Diesel bad this year for some reason. I have enough tractors as it is. I use to drive an old 3010 tricycle and an old 4020. I have some fond memories side dressing corn with a no cab 4230 and pulling a 30' Deutz Allis disk with a 4650 FWA when in high school.