I struggled on my first day

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by laborador, Apr 5, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I have been preparing for two months to get on my own. I have been working with a guy and getting my trailer, truck and equipment. I have much to learn about being effecient. It took me two hours to do my first yard ( Im Solo). The next yard took me an hour and a half to do. The third yard I met a 120 lb rotweiler and almost took a chuck out of my arm, I am okay the dog took a little nibble, but did not break the skin. I did not panic and froze when he charged, then the owner yelled at him. I should of called even though I called him this past weekend to tell him that I would be there. Over all I calculated I made 17 dollars an hour, so as you can see I better become more quicker or I will not financially survive through the summer. Hopefully the slowness is due to the first day.
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Keep your head up!!!! What size yards are you doing, what kind of equipment are you running??? What is your cost of doing business???
  3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I never been in that situation but sounds like a bad day. True you make more money working for yourself, but why didnt you work with another lawn care business to get some experience?

My first day I did 10 yards between 9am-4pm as a solo, but I had experience with helped my time.

You'll get better and faster, hang in there, Good Luck!!!!
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What size mower are you using? I am just curious....I, myself am solo and through experience you learn tricks for each account to save time. Give yourself a few weeks and let us know how it turns out.
  5. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I did work with a guy that has his own business for a couple of months. He is breaking away from the maintenance part and going more into the landscaping part. I bought about 10 accounts from him. I am finding out that he was doing some extra things for these people and not charging. So they are expecting the same from me. I will use these accounts as my learning curb even though I will not profit much. I will weed out these accounts as I build my business. The yards are about 5000 sqft and I have a 36 and a stick and a weedeater blower. I am sure you all are right, I will learn things to be quicker. My goal is to do 8 to 10 a day as my business grows.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Is the 17 an hour profit or total before overhead. If profit great, If total, YES you do need to improve. At 5K and fairly open you will get under an hour. It might take a few weeks but you will most likely get close to 1/2 hour for the total stop. Any new lawn will take a few weeks to get proficient. Even one from last year will be a little slower at the start of the year. You have to work in the clean edges and clean up from winter so if you are slow now that will change. Hang in there, and buy a bag of dog treats. Good luck.