1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I suspect the problem is a fungus...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

...but I have no formal training or education to support my fears, only observational hearsay. An example: I alerted a customer to my concern last year. She treated her backyard with a fungal application, two weeks later, her lawn looked great.

What I'm seeing is what I've seen off and on for years: St. Augustine grass blades turn yellow, grass either thins or dies outright, leaving visible ground. I see this on lawns with/out sprinkler systems, in spots far away from/next to a head, under heavy/no shade. In other words, there doesn't seem to be one constant, other than it's St. Augustine grass.

I'm pretty sure I know how to recognize grey leaf spot (correct spelling?) and on the whole, am not seeing the tell-tale spots. The patterns definately do not reflect brown spot.

I don't think I'm being an alarmist, but who knows...
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have something similar occur on one of my accounts. He will run his sprinklers too long on the side of his house during the late fall/winter months and since it is almost full shade, a rather agressive fungus takes over first appearing in ~1x1' circle like spots then just kills everything. Fix is reduce water or find a way to increase sun.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The various fungus seems to be very bad in St Augustine this year. We are using heavy dose of compost with corn meal in extreme conditions. I know the chemical guys don't like this approach but customers like to try almost anything before chemicals these days. So far good results...it is brown patch.
  5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Now that I've found this site, if I can remember to take my camera tomorrow, I will take a few.

Do the images have to be hosted somewhere to do this or is it just like posting a reply?
  6. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I don't think what I'm seeing is brown patch as it's not circular. Sometimes it's small areas, others it's very large, but no discernable pattern.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you post your reply, scrolll down to where it says "manage attachments", click that, and find where they are located on your computer, then you can attach them. I usually resize the pictures I post down to 450 x 450.
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The reason the st augustine looks like **** this spring isn't from brown patch. The problem was

a.) we had a severe drought last fall
    b.) most home owners shut the sprinkler systems off around the first of November or even sooner...those who don't have sprinkler systems seldom water the lawn after the first of October
    c.) we had an 8 degree freeze here (DFW area) the weekend of December 10th and it was probably just as cold in Waco/Central Texas

St augustine is known to die in temperatures of just 23 degrees.

The already drought stressed st augustine lawns simply could not tolerate an 8 degree freeze. Most of the st augustine lawns look like hell right now. Some are starting to green up nicely. Those that are greening up nicely are mostly where the home owner continued to water the lawn over the winter. Getting full sun at that time helped too, but the lawns that were not watered in the fall and were shaded are hit especially hard and home owners are just now realizing the damage.

I HATE st augustine. It is soooo whimpy.

DFW Area Landscaper