1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I tell people Im slow now and they want a price for a walk now

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by HHlandscaping, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JoeyDipetro

JoeyDipetro LawnSite Member
    from CA

Good post. Too many contractors get fixated on one number that they feel for whatever reason they must "get." Or, they throw prices around with nothing to back them up. Your point of "know your costs and the point that it is not worth it" is the best advice I've seen on here yet.

Charles Vanderkooi teaches to know three prices (I can't remember exactly what he calls them)......price with hoped for profit, price with profit and basically a price that covers cost with very little or no profit. This gives you the information you need in negotiating price, if that becomes an issue and right now, it's an issue for everybody.
  2. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The only way your customer would know that you gave them a "low ball" price is if you told them.
    Since no two projects are the same and you shouldn't be bidding by the square foot, neighbors wouldn't be able to compare prices.

DVS, if one person types it out of five that reponded i'll go on the assumption that there are more viewing this thread that think it.

I do use the Vanderkoi system.