I think about it more and more

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 16, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have brought up this topic before, but more and more I am considering of stepping out of the lawn maintenance business and get into something that is strictly specialized, like fertilization, aeration ,etc.

I feel that one of the problems that we face is the reason for such low prices is because we have too broad of services that we offer. That affects us in pricing. While, if I specialized in something I could charge more and make a better profit because it's only one or two services compared to 2 dozen services.

By specializing in the service I am not stretching myself out too thin and don't have to worry as much about a schedule compared to a mowing schedule, which we all know that if the lawn isn't taken care of within a certain time limit it can be more of a hassle.

There would be less equipment to maintain, to buy, and to break down. The overhead would be greatly decreased.

What does everybody think?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I have thought about it many times. The problem I find is that most customers want to deal with only one company for everything. ;)

3. tiedeman

from earth

that is the number one thing that I am worried about. If I did step away from the lawn maintenance how many of my current customers would follow me into the specialized service

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, most of my cutomers like the one stop shopping deal as well. Only providing 1 or 2 specialized services could creater an open door for other LCO providers to step in to.

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I stepped out of the maintance side this year. We now only do installs. And my life is soo much happier

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

What do gas stations do?

They offer about everything they think they can sell. And they do it at a premium price because people pay for convenience.

People are almost always going to pay more for a provider that offers everything rather than trying to sub everything out themselves and having to go through the hassle of getting bids.

Do most people self contract building their own home? They don't because it is easier for most to let someone else deal with all the problems. Even if you only cut grass you can also sub out the treatments, landscaping, and irrigation.

Remember that you do specialize in something. LAWN CARE. (whatever that may involve).

7. tiedeman

from earth

If I could find someone, I would sub out the mowings to

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Why not just put a crew out cutting, and you can do all the apps alone? This way you are not losing out on any revenue, and on your off days you can sell new business?

9. tiedeman

from earth

I have thought about it, but I like not having employees. Since I got rid of them this year I am stress free, there is no customer call backs, and I have a lot more money in my pocket.

The other thing that I am been thinking of doing is just slowly cut back on my lawn care customers and build the base for the other. This way I am not jumping ships to fast incase the income is not so great from the other

10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a better plan to me. Test the waters a little first.