I think I found an Ebay scammer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 3, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Last week I saw and Exmark Naigator on Ebay that was at $650 starting bid with no reserve and then the auction suddenly was gone. It popped up again yesterday and I emailed the guy and he said $2,900 would buy the mower and get it shipped to my front door. He said the mower was in Alaska and he was in London and didn't need it anymore. Oh yes it only had 35 hours on it as well. In the midst of recieving his email the auction once again vanished with over 4 days left on it. WHY SO CHEAP, WHATS UP WITH THE AUCTION COMING AND GOING, AND MOVED TO LONDON FROM ALASKA. It all sounds fishy. I'd love to have that mower but a new one $12,000. Who is going to let a 35 hour unit go for $2,900 included frieghted delivery.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

whipple - if you smell a rat he probably is. Ignore the auction and move on....

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

yup - scammen! Same thing with a toro 455-d. Wanted like 3500 for a it, 360 hours and he was in NY on business, wife was over sea's on business and a friend would ship it from ohio. Buy now price was $7900. What do they think I do not know - how are you getting away with this but I guess that is how he can afford to be over sea's on business!

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for posting....

5. jtoman

jtoman LawnSite Member

I had the same guy try to sell me an exmark ct for 2900 he said he had moved to Alaska for personal reasons or something. He made up a phony shipping label and wanted me to wire transfer money to a fake eBay rep in Florida. Well thought out plan but i sent the emails to eBay and within 5 minutes got a reply back that it was obviously fake.

eBay is pretty good about catching that stuff.

Always remember if its too good to be true its probably too good to be true

6. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Warning to everyone!!!!!! Anytime the seller says either they are or the item is out of the country. RUN RUN RUN. It dosent take to very smart person to tell you something is wrong, especially if the price is way too low. Some of these scammers will try to make you fill better by saying the transaction will take place by Palpal to protect both parties. Paypal is not 100% and you can be scammed using it. New scam is that false accounts are being used in Paypal. By the time Ebay catches it, you already sent the item and there is no money really there. Common sense will protect most of us. For the ones that do fall for it, I really dont fill sorry for. Dont let the excitement of a deal "too good to be true" override common sense.

7. hanson's glc

hanson's glc LawnSite Member
    from mn

i had a guy try this on me with a 52 hp with 34 hours on it. and the shipping from ny to mn was $119 so i contated ebay to have them look into it for me and ebay told me the guy i was dealing with stole the ebay member name. the guy was pushy saying he had 5 other people try to buy it at his house in one day. only gave me 3 days to find out that he was a scammer. run run from any one try to sell out of the states or cannada too i got scammed for $300 from cannada. run from any one that dosen't know any thing about what they are selling.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

they have been running that same scam on craigslist.RUN RUN RUN!!!

9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Another tip is that they will almost always tell you the price and add a "USD" at the end (ex. $3000USD). They send e-mails that look like they're from e-bay, but they don't "like" paypal and want the money wired. Also, they grab specs off website and can't tell you anything useful about the product. These might not apply for all cases, but I see these things a lot. I was nearly scammed last year. Keep your eyes open and good spot.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that auction is a scam.