1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I think I found the truck...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob_McNaughton, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Tell me what you guys think... Now, if I can get the bosses approval (wife), i'll go ahead and get it, and be another step closer to starting my LCO next year.

2001 Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton) Quad Cab - Heavy Duty. Sport package, Convience Package, Travel Package, Tow Package and Heavy Duty Package. Loaded, the only option it is missing is heated mirrors and power seats (big deal). Engine is the 5.9 Liter 350HP 360CU Inch V8, fuel tank is the 34gallon one. Rims are the premiums, not the standards.

It has the HD battery, Alternator, Springs, Tranny and Engine coolers. In addition to the sport package, trip computer, infinity performace sound system w/cd and all the trimmings. Also, got em to throw in a bed liner that it didnt come with (another $250.00).

Stickered at $34,000.00 in the window.

Price I negotiated with the dealer after 4 days of non-stop haggling and bargining on my lunch breaks: $28,333.00

After applying current $2000 truck rebate: $26,333.00

Minus the addition $175.00 I negotiated even farter at the last minute. Hehe: $26,158.00

Total price not including down payment: 26,158.00 (stickered at 34k).

What you guys think? Good deal? Seriously, I haven't found a truck with all that I want on it like this one. It was special ordered as a upscale toy for a engineering plant, and they cancelled the order. Thats why its got all the features and bells, sport pack, etc, yet has the added Heavy Duty everything on it.

Its a lotta truck, more than up to the task of anything I put infront of it (thx heavy duty, tow pack, etc).

Good deal?
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds good :) They don't have one with the V10 do they?
  3. sounds like a real nice truck, price i wouldnt know anything about. only one question, is it 4x4? even if you dont plow now, you may plow later, or you may have to do some work offroad. always helps for the extra wheels to spin.
  4. Bob_McNaughton

Yes, its 4x4. No V10s of Diesels available, plus, the diesels are another 5k more in price. Ugh. I gotta stop somewhere.

I drove this baby twice over the last two days and fell in love.

MAN... I LOVE the feel of the 3/4 tons over the 1/2 tons!!! Feels STRONG and solid, and like a tank. The 1/2's feel too much like cheap cars..

Anyone else notice the super cool feel of a 3/4 ton? Just feels a ton better, hard to explain.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bob--I say go for it...since you will be buying the gas.

if you want it, that is all the more reason to buy it!

but you don't need it to start a LCO next year. if you think that is the reason to buy it, then next year I hope you are as happy then with your purchase.

seriously, I think those trucks look awsome! they are huge and intimidating! if you want it...just buy it. forget the LCO justification.

personally, I'd squeeze the dealer a little harder. they will call you back!

let us know what you do.

6. Bob_McNaughton

I squeezed em so hard, the sales manager said I took home his ballz in my pocket.

I didn't believe his invoice price was like 29000.00, so he pulled it out and showed it to me(it was). Then, when I explained to him my dad used to own a Ford dealership, and that invoice pricing is misleading, since there is a built-in profit on the invoice (sticker price aside). Once I explained that, he dropped another $667.00 off invoice (probably close to his profit protection on the invoice). Thats where he got the 28333.00 price. From that price, you subtract $2000 for the current factory rebate to come up with the 26333.00 price.

Then, after messing with them for many days, and walking off the lot a few times saying "I might be back, but I have to go, i'm late for a meeting.", I decided to go for it. (you have to remember, im a marketing/business major, and currently a sales manager. Heh)

But before I did, I negotiated ANOTHER $175.00 off the price (what the hell, anything helps). And finally, before I agreed to place a deposit on it, I negotiated a free bedliner. ($250 value).

It's the last one left, before I left a deposit, another guy was about to make an offer on it. Being that it was the only HD with those options i've seen at 7 different dealerships, and that it was the last one, and all the negotiating I did, I felt I better finally agree to it.

After lookng on the internet at the used market for a truck with these exact features, I see 1999's selling for 25k, which is about the same i'm paying for this one. LOL

Squeeze those dealers hard, they are in the business to make money, just make sure they know upfront that you are not a customer that they can make money on. Thats the technique I use. Explain that you will help them move product, to make their numbers look good, but that they won't have any profit off you.

Hope that helps a bit.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My 2000 Ram diesel is and has been a good truck. There is a huge difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck. The 360 will suck some gas though so be prepared. I paid 31,000.00 for mine a year ago. If you could find a diesel then I would opt for that engine over the gas burner.
  8. yeah, there is something called PAC? or PACK? what that is, is when the dealer, not all dealers, but when a dealer sells a truck. they try to get you for however much over invoice, and then the manufacturer i dont know if they double it or what. but they get a kickback per unit from the guys who make the truck. so that is something to find out about. if your dealer has pack.
  9. Keith

Holdback money typically equals about 3% of MSPR. If the vehicle is sold within a set period of time the dealer will get the holdback money. The longer the vehicle sits after that time, the less holdback he will get. So basically a dealer selling at invoice will make at leat $1000 (on a vehicle in the $34,000 range) There may also be dealer incentives much like the consumer rebate. For instance a Local Ford dealer had some trucks marked below invoice, turns out they have dealer cash incentives which allows them to do so.

Recently while looking at trucks i found out there was even an A/X/Z Plan rebate on Super Duties (incentive 9090). Not only would that put you below invoice, there would be a $1250 rebate above what a retail customer can get. Cool how that works. Alot of Ford fleet departments would rather sell at a Plan price anyway.

However, the deals on the Dodge trucks are great right now. An equal Ford would likely cost $1500-2000 more even aty X Plan.
  10. Keith

BTW, if you are curious check out http://www.sunrisefordfleet.com/guides/02PG.htm for MSRP, Invoice and dealer cost. It may be slightly different in parts of the country, this is a dealer in Cali. But it will give you a good idea of what the dealer is paying for a vehicle.