I think I handled this well...I think.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jun 5, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

New account. Picked her up this spring through one of my newspaper ads. She calls, and I arrive at her house within 20 minutes to give her an estimate. ( I was already on the road.) regular yard, not much trimming so I say 36.00. I tell her the way I mow which is
    1. Bagless
    2. Every 7 days until the growth cycle settles down (Late June)
    3. I set my deck at 3.5-3.75 inches
    4. I do not mow when it's raining
    5. Pay me when i'm done

Okay. First week. She said I mowed way too high and that it looked like it wasn't even mowed.

Second week. Complained that now that I dropped the deck ( 2.75") theres all this grass laying around. There really wasn't I TRIPILE MOWED IT!

Third week. Why are you here again, you were here just last week. I'm not paying every single week to mow this is outragous. Okay so now, I start pulling my hair out. It's raining cats and dogs and she wants me to mow at 2.75", every 10-15 days in the middle of biggest growth spurt since Gloria left "All in the Family".

Fourth week. You'll really love this one. I mow her lawn on Tuesdays. So it's rained all week and it's friday and i call her. (I am not allowed to mow unless I call her first) I say, "Hi XXXX, since it's stopped raining , I thought I would come over and mow. I would suggest though that I mow it a little higher today and then come back and mow again on Tuesday at the height that you like. That way, you won't have a lot of grass laying around. She hit the roof. "Whhhhaaatt?? I'm not paying you to mow my lawn twice in less than 4 days, that's robbery!! You come over and mow it at the right height and leave it at that. Just keep mowing the lumps up till their gone." I try to explain that shes really paying the same since I didn't mow last tuesday...no luck.

So, I mowed...at 2.75. Grass must be 8 inches? It looks like hell. I mowed it 3 times and there is still grass turds all over the place. I collect my check. I told her that I did'nt think things were working out and that I would mow next week and then that was it. She handed me my check and slammed the door. I never raised my voice. Didn't swear...nothing. Got in my truck and left. I swear, if I make it to 70 and I act like that....shoot me.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You handled it better than I would have, trust me. First week cut @ 3" min, second cut 7 days later @ 3' min.

She would have been hunting a new service long ago because I would have already told her nicely. I'll take my sanity over $36 any day, thanks. This lady is not only a PITA, but disrespectful as well.

3. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

You handled that fine. That was one of those customers that you would have never been able to please and she would have given you many more problems than she was worth....
    Good job..you will find plenty mmore customers that are worth your time and appreciated your work and honesty

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Handled it just fine. People like that piss me off. They want everything their way but just can't realize that it's a BUSINESS we are running, not their own little game. Don't worry about it.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

tell her you dont need her $36 a cut lawn, that you can find another lawn to cut.

6. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need a service contract

7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Do not put up with her stuff. Can that account yesterday. The crazy lady will generate negative PR for your buisness when she shares her crazy ideas about you with other prospective accounts. These people will destroy a buisness. Look at it like this , instead of having to put up with her crap, use the time alloted to her account to market your services to a more suitable clientel.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You did more that I would have...patience is something I am running out of as I get older.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

patience is something i never had. you did not handle it well at all. i would have dumped her immediately. we have a strict policy here. it's my way or no way.

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Well now that we have heard from the peanut gallery i guess this thread is dead. :p

You did do it correct. Anger would not have been the correct route in my mind. Anger is ALWAYS a secondary emotion. Why be angry? I think that paying as you go will seem like you are nickel and diming the customers. But that is jmo. Why not bill at the end of the month? ALso, something that has helped me in the past, get rid of the per mow charges. Charge per MONTH and save all the hassles. My bid paperwork has the monthly charge and they are never surprised at thier bill. Plus i charge for four weeks. So if i mow 5 they get one free. If i mow 3 then i make it up. 3 years with that billing route and no problems so far.

Good luck. I think you did it correctly.:D