I think I have a leak day

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Received a call that "I think I have a leak".
    Found this slip coupling on the main line.
    1/4" in on one end and a bunch of glue inside, I pulled the pipe apart by hand...
    I fix more leaks that wet or shine /blue glue is used by a contractor, I hate that stuff..

Plus today I looked at another job with leaks, turned out the Water company increased the pressure in this one part of town to 240+psi , that's right 240+psi . I asked the homeowner to flag the places that he felt there was a leak. From the POC he marked it about every 20ft and I counted 10 flags.:dizzy:

water.jpg

water2.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I dislike that dark blue glue as well. We use IPS 725, its a light blue. It bonds much faster than that stuff.

3. We can argue about glue all we want, but plain and simple, that fitting wasn't done properly. Looks like it was a lazy man job.Looks like a "Hail Mary" reapair job in the first place.

I run into this all the time doing repairs. Main lines without primer being used and improperly cut pipe are the cause of most of the failures I see.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I use Hot-Blue glue all the time. The problem here is that the end was not flat and it was glued improperly. Not the glue.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just me...

Or does that second image look like it has tons of glue on it, like the person who slipped the joint said to themselves...

"man, this is barely 1/2" into the fitting, so I better gob some glue to hold it together"

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Examples like that make a compelling arguement for free birth control.

7. The squareness (flat....sigh)...of the pipe end is the least of the worries....it looks like it was glued wet...literally....and of course not bottomed out in the socket.....

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Although they might be OK for small pipe we don't use "slip fixes" (or their equivalent) on any pressurized lines. We use compression couplers or Dresser couplings on pressurized lines. Too many pipes in the same trench? We use the 90x4 reroute and/or compression fittings to solve the problem.

Looks like someone didn't know exactly where to cut the pipe or cut out a section too wide and just let it be with the repair fixture. An extra piece of pipe on this end of the slip fix with either a bell end or coupling would have spanned the bad part of the pipe... IF they'd cut it in the proper places. Key to the whole thing is full extension of the slip fix so the internal O-ring does its job but NOT cutting out too wide of pipe so the glue ends are properly socked into it.

Appears to me that technique was the culprit, not the glue. (Although I abhor slow set gray glue.)

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Water in your glue can cause very similar results. Not using primer or using cleaner instead of primer, same results. I've had trouble this year w/ "hot" glue. Instead of wet/dry "turf-tite" type glue, I picked up a can that was Christie's Hot glue. I found it to be even slower to set than regular medium body glue. It might be great for cold weather work, but it is not for 90+degree weather. Purp........Grey??? OUCH. Flexible glue is a pain. Use turf-tite instead. Its labeled for flex use and sets up much better.

Is the "secret" to installing a slip-fix THAT foreign a concept. We've got a kid training (don't think he's going to make it, I feel an accident w/ an air hose comming up real soon ------- I have to attempt to train him for winterizations) who can't seem to get the concept down either. First, except for a few VERY rare situations, WHY do they make a slip-fix smaller than 1"???? Second, why is every one so blasted lazy they won't dig a little extra to make sure that isn't a 90 six inches away?? Now, colapse the slip-fix you have decided is going to save you so much effort, and make absolutely sure it fits PERFECTLY in the gap you wish to install it. Now, primer everything twice and then apply glue to one side of your repair. Install slip fix to that side. Carry some trash back to your truck, clean up in expectations of a quick getaway..........or whatever. Now, apply glue and extend slip fix until you feel the slip fix bottom out as the pipe bottoms out into the fitting. Fill hole and tamp well. If you can control and prevent full pressure, test your repair. If not, return later or the next day and fully test. If you have a MV, manually open another valve on the system and then test your repair. Turn off MV with the controller, close the manually open zone valve and leave the customer a note not to water until tomorrow..................
    WHY is this some bizzare form of higher math no one understands?????

Wow, what a rant! can you believe I've cut out a few slip fixes lately??

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a slipfix fail on me from the gluejoint.

IPS 725 is ready for pressure in 30 seconds. You glue one side, and then glue the other, no trips to the truck needed.