I think I have a Lemon, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 16, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

My 03 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton that I bought New has 25,000 miles on it, and for the last 2 years there is an awful creaking noise coming from the back of the cab when coming to a stop.

It happens every time I come to a stop, when decelerating from about 8mph till stopped.

When I first took it into the dealer that I purchased it from they said "we could not locate the source of the creaking" so they checked all the body mounts and tightened them.

When I got it, it was better but still not fixed completely, so After a year wen't by I had a chance to get it back to the dealer and they said that they got it completely fixed. Well after 2 stoplights the noise came back as loud as the first time.

So today I'm trying to see if I should give the dealer one last try and take it in to them which is about an 1hr drive. Or try another Chevy dealer down the road from my house.

Should I have the dealer mechanic ride around the parking lot so I can point out the noise?

Everyone that rides with me notices the creaking and tells me that ain't right.

What should I do if the third time its not fixed?

When does the lemon law come into effect?

Its still under warranty until this august so I have to act fast.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been through the whole "lemon law" process with a 2000 f-250 for very similar creaking problems. If im not mistaking, the truck has to be taking in 3 times for the same problem during the warranty period and then you can hire a lemon law lawyer with costs you nothing. Ford wound up settling with me for several thousands dollars and I decided to just trade the truck in.

Defintly take it in again and make sure you have all documentation of each time it has gone in. Its a very easy process.

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked as a auto tech at a chevy dealer for the last 20 years. Yes ask to ride with a tech to point out the noise. Also Is the noise you hear inside the cab? If so check the plastic bumpers for the rear doors at the top and bottom. Often they creak and just need some silicone paste applied to them. Also on the rear seat that can fold up the hooks on the seat frame against the rear of the cab have rubber bushings that can come off. Then the seat creaks. If it still cannot be located and fixed call customer assistance # in owners manual they will record info and assist in getting the dealer assistance in the event they cannot fix it. Sometimes a field engineer will be sent out as a last resort.

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Yeah its defiantly more than plastic creaking, sounds the whole back of the cab moves.

BTW its a standard cab so the seats are bolted to the floor.

Any body else have any info or advice?

Ryan

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is possible that the rear glass could be loose. Can you make noise go away by touching the glass? You didnt state weather noise inside or outside. I've seen the trans shift cable come out of it's retainer and vibrate.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

SFL, trade it in on a Ford. Your G/f would look better in that anyway.:waving: JK

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

A creaking cab is far better than a blown transmission or puked turbo.

8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

jc1

I know for a fact that glass is not loose and I just double checked that.

Its coming from a low part to wards the floor.

Oh and you can hear the noise inside and out, had some friends sit in the bed while I drove down my street and they could hear it.

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Anybody???

Need advice, not necessarily how to fix my problem, I will let the dealer do that.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to lemon law the truck, it has to have beenj back 4 times for the same thing, or, the thing has to have not been resolved. Eachn staes lemon laws are just a bit different. Typically, you would get a lemon law attorney, present the case to them. If they take it, they usually do it on contingency, so it won't cost you. If the manufacturer fights it, and looses, they are made to pay all attorney fees, and buy the truck back. Check with a mouthpiece first, they know what they can do, and not do.