I think i have been had!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I get a call to do a job for a friend. Friend #1's new place he is moving into, and he says he will be so busy moving that he does not have the time to do lawn work. He calls me last Tuesday i go out to his new place and give him an estimate he says ok do it. He says he is closing on the place this Friday so i did not want to do it before than. Well he calls last Thursday 2 days after i give him the estimate to cancell says he has no money. I get a call from friend #2's wife saying hey did you know friend #1 is moving i say yes. She says well i voluntered me and my husband and you as well to help move the big stuff. To say i was pissed off would be an understatement :angry: :angry: Well if i was scheduled to do his lawn work for that time and then they cancell they know i am free to help move. I told her i was busy Friday and i might be able to help Saturday not sure yet. I have never had this happen to me and it took me by suprise what would you do??????????

2. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

maybe it IS, just a cash flow problem for friend #1???

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

It could be but when he sold his home he made $40,000 pure profit

4. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Dont half of that profit go to Caezar? At any rate, sure is funny how they schedule you, then cancell, knowing you are free for that time.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't try to read too much into it. He is your friend. Maybe he doesn't have enough money, he is still your friend.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I may be wrong here, but under no circumstances do I work for friends or relatives (my relatives are a bunch of skin flints anyway) When I do mow for a friend I just do it free. Money and friends just dont mix. I think you should just go help him move that day and let it go, especially if he is a real good friend.

7. Zr2_thunder

Zr2_thunder LawnSite Member

I feel the same as the previous guy, friends and money just dont mix to well. I helped a friend many many times with his lawn/computer work, not long ago i called him asking him to do a favor for me (he's a carpet layer by trade) i needed a new carpet in the living room, when he told me it would cost me his going labor rate my jaw fell to the floor. i knew i would have to pay for the carpet but i thought he would be returning all the favor's i did for free.

Sometimes you just have to let things go especially if there your friends. thats what i did.

8. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

Just make sure you charge him the next time you do something for him

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are really your friends, they will understand when you say you are busy. You had a cancellation, and filled the time in with another job. Too bad, because you'd love to help, as #2's wife said you would.
    Crawdad

10. Zr2_thunder

Zr2_thunder LawnSite Member

I plan on charging him full price and thensome when his daughter breaks his computer again which wont be too long. i have it all planned out i will get back the money i payed him and still have a few bucks for a round of beers! :blob3: