I think I made a big mistake with MSMA

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenman5000, Aug 24, 2009.

1. greenman5000

greenman5000 LawnSite Member

Hello,

About a week ago I switched to using MSMA for crabgrass control from drive, because it was so much cheaper. I blanket sprayed a few lawns because the crabgrass was so bad.

These lawns have turned completley brown. I realize that it says on the label some discoloration may occur, but I am talking a dark, solid brown. Is it normal for them to discolor that much? I hope I am not going to have to replace there lawns.

I checked my math, even going back to the jug (which was new) and measured whats left to make sure I did not mix to hot. I used 1oz per K, The temps were a little hot, but it does not say not to spray in the heat on the label, only that effectivness may be reduced in temps over 70 degress.

The grass was primarily fescue.

2. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Made the same mistake myself last year oh just about this time of year. If the temps were above 90 or near that I'd say you did the same thing I did, cooked the grass along with the weed :cry:

Since then, anytime I use MSMA its to kill off the crabgrass/foxtail by painting on just what I intend to kill.

Like you said, its cheaper and if you can substitute time for expense (which it is in my case) its worth it.

3. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We need pics.

Some guys are good with MSMA. I like Drive, I don't need to worry.

4. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

this time of year i mix msma @ .5 oz. per k

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hmm.
    Would never thought of that. Will have to test try that in a area behind me.

My property of course.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

on any label with msma i have alwasy read not to apply over 80 degrees. that could be the problem along with drought stress, stressed turf cant handle that chemical. so use is very limited really. just my thoughts

7. greenman5000

When you say you cooked the grass, are you talking about a total kill, or did it come back?

8. greenman5000

One positive is that it did rain alot about 4 days after the application, all night and one morning from hurricane bill stalling near us. There was almost 7.5" in my rain guage.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Tall or fine fescue? (Fine cannot take much MSMA--if any.) My experience was not pretty, LOL. Not particulary effective in my experience. Temperature sensitive. Over 80 is good--over 81 is bad.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Does the stuff really work on crabgrass? I mean REALLY??? I am willing to give it a try, but just don't know. What are you guys using - just spreader/sticker, or mso?
    And what about the nut sedge? Does it actually work?