I think I need a new dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped by my local dealer today to order a JRCO tine rake dethatcher. What a surprise. I've got more equipment in my garage than he has in the showroom!

He claims he was the victim of embezzlement and his check to his distributor bounced. 4 days later they came and took away his equipment. Now he has a ballon payment due on the land he uses for parking and doesn't have the money.

I hope he gets everything staightened out, but with no equipment to sell I don't know how he can.

2. OUCH!!!!

Goes to who you, you have got to keep a close eye on your books.

BTW I think Captdevo can hook you up on the JRCO stuff. Not a plug just helping you out.

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch! Bad situation for the both of you!

Although his story and situation are entirely possible, I'm willing to bet this is not the first time he's been short if ya know what I mean.

At any rate, I hate to see anyone in that shape unless they were so lousy they ran themselves out of business. I hate t hear it for him and the the both of you really. Can you imagine how bad the guy is feeling right now and what worries he has on his mind? I hope he can find some way to save himself and his business.

These situations are particularly bothersome to me because in my area, as far back as I can remember, every time something new opened, in turn something else was ran out of business and closed.

Lately it's been really bad. Lots of stuff closing and very very little new stuff springing up. The saddest thing I can think of is right here in my town a bank is moving into the old Hardee's building. That's pitiful!
    :(

5. Darryl G

LGF - Thanks, but I went ahead and ordered it from him. Figured he can use the business. If he can't get it, then I'll give the Captn a shout.

Harry - yeah, the crimson is a big seller. The multicolor dye is big with the baby boomers.:D

Actually, the check was to his finance company not his distributor like I said earlier. Sad part is that he was taken by family and he had another business go bust recently due to embezzlement also. I don't want to say too much, but it's related to substance abuse. I guess he's too busy in the shop to know what's going on in the books dept. I'm afraid to drop any equipment off there in case he looses the place with my equipment in it. Could be hard to get it back.

Envy - He's not feeling very good and in fact lost 20 lbs. I was a little surprised to hear that he was thinking of calling me for a loan and he stopped short of outright asking me for one when I was there. I told him sorry but I really couldn't.

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Thats kinda odd, but man I hope everything works out for you finding a new dealer and all.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Darryl, that is great you are trying to help the local guy out. Hopefully he will get his act together or someone else will probably set up to the plate. I will say however don't hurt yourself waiting on this guy. Give him a chance and if he fails move on to captdevo. Let us know what ends up happening.

Gravely_Man

8. Darryl G

Stopped at my dealer yesterday. His showroom is still bare but at least he's got the shop manned. No sign of my rake yet. He has no idea where it is or when I will have it. He told me he could have it in a week and it's been 16 days. Am I being unreasonable to want a piece of equipment sooner than that?

I pretty much told him that I want to know where it is and when I'll get it or I'll be forced to get it somewhere else. I was sure to mention to him that I spent 54% of my gross income last year at his shop. I'd call that a loyal customer, and I expect some service!

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yeah I'd be the same way. You spent way too much money there not to get treated like a VIP. Did you put much money down on it??? Good Luck I hope it works out for you.

10. Darryl G

LB - Nope, nothing down. Glad you don't think I'm being unreasonable. I'm going to check out a reputable ExMark dealer less than 1/2 hour away later today.