I think I need to take the plunge and finally get a WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamo, Apr 11, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

My brother and I are into our second year using just 2 21" residential Honda mowers.

Last year we ended up with a peak of about 40 mowing customers though at least half were bi-weekly accounts. This year we're up to 60 so far and adding new accounts almost everyday right now. Most of these are weekly accounts. We taking two full days to get the mowing done and usually have to spill into the weekend as well. That's cutting into our sod, aeration, dethatching, ect... work.

The engines on our hondas are holding up, but the you can tell the rest are starting to really wear down after so much use on residential mowers.

I need to buy something new and we rather just go ahead and get a WB rather than a commercial 21"

I'm thinking about a Quick 32" or 36".

At what point did you guys finally upgrade to a WB.

Right now we only have a house or two with tight fences. I assume a 36 is a better buy than a 32. What do you guys think?

Thanks any input is appreciated. I'm pumped I've gotten to the point I need to upgrade, just a little worried about spending the $$$.
  2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Get a wright stander 32" or 36". Much better than a w/b and you are standing on the mower so no sulky crap. Also it has duel hydros vs. single hydro or belts.
  3. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Keep the 21" for the gated back yards and get a 48" dual hydro for everything else.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

A 32 or 36 Stander is great for small to mid size residentials. Very compact and fast little cutting machine. The WB will also work ..hydro ,stay away from belt drives if you can .When the grass is wet or slight rain the belts will slip,not fun. Your production will increse greatly with either a stander or a WB.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I vote stander because it is priced close to a hydro w/b and it is more compact and you're already on it. No sulky.
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

A lot depends on the properties you service, gate sizes, average sq foot of turf per property.... I turned down an account today because even my Quick 32 could not get through the gate.

I don't like standers.... 450+ lbs, then a person... that's 650 lbs plus. I've seen so many properties with ruts from heavy machines and LCO's that mow in the same direction.... the Quick is 318 lbs. Unless the turf is really soggy, no ruts and no divots when making 180's.

I agree as far as staying away from belt drives, but regular hydros cost big $, and the single hydro on the Quick works well, as long as you aren't mowing a lot of slopes. If you are, spend the money on a dual hydro. If not, save 1500 to 2500 bucks and get a Quick.

I am thrilled with my Quick 32, but have almost no slopes or hills to mow. My accounts are small, 2 to 4k of turf. Even a sulky would be a waste for me. For $2700 including an Accelerator bagger, extra blades, various parts, oil, Sta-bil, filters, belts and Fluid Film etc.... that was the best $2700 I ever spent.

You know your accounts.... you need to measure gates, what your needs and budget are and make the decision that is right for YOU. Sounds like you have more than enough work to excerisize any of these options I mentioned.
  7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

You no what Iam picking
  8. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

60 accounts w/o even a commercial WB. Yeah, I'd say you are ready...for a few. Whatever you get, get hydro. Sounds like you probably have small lawns. If I were you I would get a 36" exmark turftracer...for starters.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i agree, i dont use them but ive tried them. Gravely makes a nice 1934fx stand up model that flys... I use a 34" walk behind as our only one, and i would trade it any day, even though its hydro, for a stand up hydro model instead.

Even a 34-48" walk behind will make your 1hr lawn cuts 10 minutes. It was probably my biggest time savings after starting with a push mower, 21" push/propelled/trys to propel mower vs commercial 34-36"=no comparison. You will go 3-4x faster through your lawn accounts if not faster. I use my 21" mower 1-2x a year or if the 34" breaks a belt or part for a day thats it, i hate that thing.

With that said, if i had the money back when, i woulda gotten a 34-36" stand up wright and probably not had to buy my ztr so soon after. Next year ill probably add a 34"-40" stand up gravely.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Your decision on where you want your business to go will dictate which equipment to buy.
    If you plan on getting a Z, I would say buy a 36 walkbehind because they'll go in back gates and do a decent job on a large area until you get the Z.
    If you don't plan to buy a Z, go for the 48 or larger walkbehinds because naturally they'll do more area faster.
    Now, if you can-buy a hydro walkbehind because they are extremely easy to handle. Even a 36, I would go for a hydro.
    I have 5 walkbehinds in various sizes from 32-52 inches and I can tell you about walkbehinds. Tony
    BTW, one of the most versatile combinations would be a 36 walkbehind and a 54-61 inch Z.