i think i screwed my lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jaytee, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

lawnsite.com..i need your help desperately. My once very green and beautiful front lawn has taken a turn for the worse. We bought the house last August and the grass was nice..one of the nicest in the neighborhood..last to turn brown in the winter actually...well upon observation today, brown patches(large brown patches) are everywhere..almost the whole lawn. I have been using organic fertilizer and watering the grass almost daily.
    What advice can you give me to get my grass back green and thick like it was???? thanks in advance..love the site...//JT
  2. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

What kind of grass
  3. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

i dont know..i dont have that much knowledge about grass..i have no idea what it is..maybe one of you very smart guys know what grass they put down in columbia, sc..well then again, it could be a mixture..i dont know..im pissed...thanks guys..//JT
  4. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Can't say much w/o knowing what kind of grass ya have.

jaytee can you post a pic?
  5. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

yes i can...in the process of getting pictures now...:cry:
  6. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

7. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

^this stuff...more pics to come...
  8. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say too much water.

a lawn requires 1'' of water a week, whether it be from rainfall or watering. Watering too often causes a shallow root system.

mulch mow and mow high. At least 3''.
  9. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

wow..too MUCH water?!? you learn something new everyday i tell ya...and i was thinking i wasnt watering enough...i will post more pics..any ideas on how to fix this problem??
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't water everyday. This time of year the temps are still fairly cool so the soil doesn't dry out as fast. Deep water once or twice a week. You should be able to stick a regular screwdriver in the ground up to the handle, and have moist soil but not soggy. the root system needs air to and too much water deprives it of that air.
    Also some diseases like cool moist turf. that may be you r problem. Try talking ot your county extension office. They might have better info for your area.