1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I think I underbid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, May 24, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I just mowed a new account for the first time today and sure hope I can get it done faster from now on. I bid it at $60 per week. I think $85 is more like it now that I've mowed it. It's an executive home on a private drive with about 1 acre of lawn. The problem is that the only open area is slope and the other areas have so many beds that it took me an hour and 10 minutes to mow it with my 48 inch Exmark. Trying to keep my clippings out of the beds was a PITA. There has to be 1,000 feet of trimming along the circular driveway, rear drive/parking lot, and beds, walks etc. At least it felt like 1,000 feet and took me 45 minutes. It was a bit out of control though. Blowing took me 1/2 hour, something I didn't expect. So I've got 2 1/2 hours plus travel (20 mins each way) for $60 bucks. I think I'll hold my price and hope to get some neighbors (one is already interested) and side work. Those beds are all gonna need mulch every year etc. I figure I can cut the mowing to 1 hour or less if the lawn is dry, the trimming to 20 or 25 minutes and the blowing to 15 minutes if I really hustle. I'm definitely taking some photos of this lawn, would look great in my portfolio! The amazing thing is that after I told him I would charge $60, he told me he was paying $50 last year, but as long as I do a good job, $60 is o.k. I also just bought an Accelerator bagger from my Exmark dealer today in nearly new condtion for $200. It was only used for 2 weeks and has one little dent in it. It will make things easier in some areas, although I don't plan to bag the whole yard. Sorry if I'm rambling, but I don't usually do lawns this nice.
  2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to you.I hope you got better ones to take the "punch"for that one..

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a lawn similar to that one, and about the same size. You will get faster once you develop a system for that property. I had the same deal with price too. I was higher than the last guy, and I thought I was still a bit low. Some people practicly do these huge properties for free! You might want to rethink that bagging though, it will prove to take some extra time & effort. Maybe you could just drop the chute around those bed areas?
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I always run my chute down, but I can't close it and mulch if thats what you mean. I'm running the notched blades now and they throw the grass pretty far! I think I'll only need to grab a couple of bag fulls. The problem was mostly the the long dead stuff from the last cut flying all over.
  5. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

First cut was extra high. charged $100., weekly cut $60. First time 1hr 21'',2 1/2hr 33'',cut twice,1hr edge, trim and blow. I've got down to 1/2hr 21''1hr 48''exmark tracer(mulch kit) 1/2hr edge,trim and blow. Now I do 2 neighbors 1hr each @$55 percut and his son 1/2hr $40
  6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Dont sweat it yet you will pick up time as you figure out the most productive way to cut it. And hopefully you will pick up a few more.