I think I &*^&* up my truck today

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by corey4671, Apr 4, 2009.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

It has rained here nearly every other day for the last three weeks so the ground is WET. I was parked on the side of the road today at a customers house. The driver's side of the truck was off the pavement and the passenger side was on the pavement. When I left, I took off slow as usual but I felt the left rear tire slip on the wet ground and it was like the whole truck jerked to the right. I'm afraid what happened was the left rear spun on the mud and the right was on the solid pavement. I know I busted a rear end like this several years ago. It's like the truck wants to pull to the right now. Does this sound like I've busted something in the rear end?

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be almost impossible to damage your truck by doing that. 99.9% of trucks on the road have open differential that allows the tires to rotate at different speeds. That's why you get a "one wheel peel" when there is a traction difference between the tires.

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I couldn't imagine a differential causing this problem. Seems more like a steering problem to me.

4. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

does it want to go to the right all the time now
    sounds to me like a axle broke

5. corey4671

It has been pulling to the right slightly for a while but seems like yesterday it really started doing it more after this incident. If an axle or the chunk were broken it should be making some God awful noise shouldn't it?

6. dirtfan1981

dirtfan1981 LawnSite Member

if it puulls to one side check ur aligment or brakes. If the rearend was messed up ud know. if a piece breaks off while driving chances are it not going to fall right away. It probably jam ur gears and u would have bigger problems. Yeah the rearends are made to do that now days unless u have a locker.

7. corey4671

don't think I have a locker. It's an 04 Silverado 2500HD with a 4.10 rear end

8. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you are looking for "One Tire Fire"!!

All kidding aside, if you had a broken axle you would know. It wouldnt just pull.

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

A factory pickup wont have a locker anyways, but it may have a limited slip differential. And i would imagine with a 410 in it that the rearend is a limited slip.

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if you have a broken axle you wouldn't be able to move the truck because all the power would be going to the axle with the least resistance (the broken one)