I think I'm leaning toward Exmark.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the market for a new ZTR this year and I've been looking at these:

Toro 62" Z-Master with the 26hp EFI, suspension seat, Z-Stand, Donaldson air filter

Exmark 60" Z EPS with the 26 or 28 hp EFI, suspension seat, Donaldson air filter

or the 61" Great Dane Super Surfer

I'm ruling out the Great Dane cuz I can't get a big EFI engine on it, plus there is really nobody close to service it.

The deck on the Exmark just looks to be built better and everyone knows the tractor part is the same. The thing that bugs me is, no Z-Stand on the Exmarks. I guess I could buy it and put it on myself.

Anybody running the new 28 hp EFI Kohler motor? My 26hp EFI is a BEAST, never lack for power, but it's on my 48" Walker. My current Z-Master has the 25 hp carbed Kohler engine. I don't recall ever lacking for power with it though. Just curious to anyones thoughts who has run the new Kohler 28 hp EFI.

Looks like Exmark here I come..........

2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

Breildo just got one and he says its a beast .Might be hard it get the backorder ive been told is huge on the 28 efi modal

3. Green Pastures

Did a little research on the differences between these two engines. The 26hp EFI and the 28 hp EFI Kohler's.

Seems bore, stroke and displacement is exactly the same. Develops peak hp at the same RPM as well, 3600 RPM. Same compression ratio.

Wonder what Kohler did to find 2 more hp and 4.8 lbs more torque.

4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Green Pastures My dealer told me to bring in my Dixon. It has a 23 horse Kohler Command. He said that he can change something in the carb and give it 2 more horsepower. So maybe a carb difference?

5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

the efi 26 and 28 dont have carberators

6. Green Pastures

I'm sure he can do it on your's, but the EFI means electronic fuel injection. There is no carb. Bore and stroke is the same so it's not a bigger bore or a longer stroke.

The only thing I can think of is an enhanced crown on the piston.

Anybody???

Buhler???

7. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have 60+ hrs on my lazer with the 28 on it. I had a toro 26 efi
    and there is a noticeable diff. in power . the 28 seems to have a lot more lugging power. At l-ville the kohler rep. told me the only diff. between 26&28 is camshaft. I really miss the z-stand on the toro &i dont think the lazer is near as good in wet grass as the toro but much better cut in good conditions. The motor is great!

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Z stand would get in my way when going up and hugging trees with the front of the mower and caster arm.
    Plus they only lift a few inches and scratch the living (bleep) out of a driveway in the hot summer sun. Too gimmicky if you ask me.

As for the 26 vs 28 EFI.... Could be a cam change, though I'd be willing to bet that its just a hotter computer setting with ignition advance and or fuel curve. Makes you wonder what were missing when you figure most of us have 750 cc engines and some street bikes with 750cc engines are close to 70 some horsepower!

Get the Exmark!

9. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler.

Email me and I'll give you my cell phone and we can talk directly.

10. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Three things I've said before "DEALER, DEALER, DEALER" You are comparing nearly identical machines, so the only good way to tell the difference would be to demo side by side. I have a Kaw 25hp on my 62" toro z and the only time I notice it pulling hard is in heavy grass on a uphill grade. So unless the 28hp is similar in price to the 26hp I would shy away (unless you were going to a 72")

The Z stand, I love it. No it doesn't get in the way when trying to "hug" trees or such, the front deck rollers will hit first. And it also will raise just high enough to get a snap-on 3/8 impact wrench on the blades:p You lazer owners are just jealous:rolleyes:

Both brands are good and if I had a good Exmark dealer closer than my Toro dealer, I would probably have one of those
    Marc