I think it wil be a scag wildcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

After much demoing(is that spelled right?) i think im going with the wildcat. I can get the 52" for $6950 or 61" for $7200. Although i still have one final mower to test which is the lesco ztr. ENVY i have been reading your threads about this mower and i trust your knowledge and experience. i am going to take a look at one on Monday and go from there. Albeit, i am pretty much convinced about the wildcat, yet i am still keeping my mind opened. I did test the country clipper(never new it existed until i saw a thread on here this morning when i did some searching) today, and i must say it seemed to be an ok machine, just came across as being cheap though. I did like the flip up deck , and hated the joystick control, just not for me.
    Anyway, i think the price on the wildcat is a bargain that i cant pass up, on such a quality mower.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That does sound like a good price for a Z that size. Do you catch grass at all? Their catcher system looks pretty nice (twin bag), just wondered if you looked at them or tried one out? I'd love to demo a Scag 52" but alas, no dealer here, hours drive minimum to get there.

Sounds like youv'e demoed a few, so have I, and owned too many lemons to count... Somewhere out there, lies the perfect mower for me.
  3. Sir mowsalot

Yea, i have tried it out, and the cut was outstanding which i knew it would be, because i use a scag wb witht the advantage deck. To answer your other question, no , i dont bag at all, i used to when i first started , but no more. Sorry, to hear you dont have a scag dealer close by. Im fortunate to be located smack in the middle of 3 dealers. After all, i live in central pa, which is scag country(and a good portion of exmarks).
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Look at an IS 4500 Ferris. Its smaller than the IS 5000. The 4500 has a 28 hp Cat diesel and a 61" deck and it has the smoothest suspension system of any of the Ferris machines. It used front wheel independent suspension and rear wheel active performance suspension where all other larger frame Ferris machines use 4 wheel IS so the 4500 is the smoothest riding machine on the market period. Thats what i'd recommend.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, go ahead and demo the Lesco Z's. See what you think of the 54' and 60" versions. If you decide to go with the 60" you may want to consider the 28hp/60" Wide Track version.

But try them and see what you think before you take the dive. The Scag Wildcat is a nice looking machine too. I just can't comment past how it 'looks' because Scag is non-existant here.

But I think either will serve you well. As far as the Country Clipper is concerned, I didn't care for the joystick either. YUK! But the twin stick model was a different animal. I really liked the big 60" twin stick CC. I would have bought it too, before ever trying the Lesco, but the dealer just wasn't on the ball...
  6. Sir mowsalot

Well, it looks as if im not buying the scag wildcat(at least not for now). I just got my dc back from the shop, and went out this morning and cut the car dealership lot i do, and "WOW". My dc is cutting like there is no tomorrow. I had my dealer fine tune the adjustments on my deck to get the exact pitch and all i can say is "WOW". The cut is perfect, it is sharp, precise. No need to change mowers now. I was changing mowers because i just didnt like the cut of my dc compared to my scag walk behind. Well, now it is right there with the scag, and im happy as can be. Looks like my ole dc , has been spared. They just need to make them handle hills better.