I think its called Red Thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lilchunk2, Jun 9, 2006.

1. lilchunk2

lilchunk2 LawnSite Member

There is a bunch of spots throughtout the lawn where its turning a red white colour almostlooks like roots are growing obove the surface. Ive seen this once before and think it was called red thread. I was wandering if anyone would know the sloution to ridding the lawn of these spots...:canadaflag:

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, red thread. Take a soil sample and test it or have it tested. I'm sure you will find the Nitrogen levels to be deficient and/or possibly pH levels to be out of range.

In any event, you have plants not getting the Nitrogen they need.
    Correct this and you supress the outbreak.

I'm guessing you have had a lot of cool and/or wet weather this season?

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Defiantly do a soil test and get the lawn on a fertilization program to Maintain balanced soil fertility,red thread pops up often when cool wet periods prevail on nutrient,especially nitrogen deficient lawns.In-addition You might want to think about bagging the clippings.

5. lilchunk2

lilchunk2 LawnSite Member

thanks yes it has been rather wet this spring. Thanks for the answers.

6. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

Yup I am here in Abbotsford BC Canada and am seeing red thread pop up on about 5 different lawns. I am told that it is due to all of the wet weather weve been having. The solution is some nice weather and nitrogen.

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have been seeing this all over a couple of my lawns and neighbors lawns as well for the first time ever... It has rained more this season than all of last season already

whats the best remedy? the link said go with a fungicide or fertilizer rich in nitrogen? what works best

8. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

GREAT LINK!!

I have 2 lawns that have had these spots for a while now and I had no idea what it was. But I did know that these two lawns have only been ferted once this year. My customer has been calling her fert co for 2 months and they wont do the app. They told her they were behind then it rained and and put them even further behind. I dont know what the deal is, but Im about ready to tell them to call TG/CL. They would be there in less than a week.

9. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

You Would!:hammerhead:

10. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

It would definatly take care of the N problem for the time being.....