1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I think it's time for new blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I will post a pic later and will get a lot of hate. I have almost 1,000 hrs on my 2008 Exmark Lazer Z HP 27HP Kohler with the Tri Vantage deck 52"" deck.

Question is after reading some post that Exmark blades are the way to go but I am tight on money and would like to know what blades you guys like and what the price is. I have cracks and missing pieces of my original blades and don't want to be mowing and cause an injury/death.
  2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Shop on ebay you can great deals on there for them from other dealers selling them off wholesale, I get most OEM sets (3 set lot) about $30 more than a local dealer would charge for 1 set
  3. soloscaperman

So this cheaper "metal" or "leaves strings of grass" a myth these days?
  4. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

I buy 25 packs of my blades on Ebay and depending on the machine can get them as low as 7.50 a blade. Leaving strings of grass has more to do with the way they are sharpened than the metal unless they are a really bad quality.
  5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

The blades on ebay you mean, the ones I get are higher quality than I use to get at dealer, put through a good hardening process, my Gravely blades come from GA, I can get the same for my deere 3 sets for $111 not purchased yet because I will be swapping out for a 54" soon, I did get a set of G6's for my JD for $52 and they are very stout, was weary because the last time I purchase oregon blades the were soft and crap.

Just check dimensions shop around good dealer

Use your blade parts number when searching
  6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm misunderstanding what the op is saying, but from
    What I see, the op is claiming to have gotten 1000 hrs on his original blades. Now how did that happen??
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good price for G6's. I ordered a set of G6's for my Great Dane Surfer 52" and it was over $70 just for the set.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. soloscaperman

Yes and still have all the original belts. The only two things that went was the floating gas gauge that broke at 4-8 hrs and the coils went at 500-600hrs.

Someone post a good dealer on Amazon or Ebay please.
  9. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I was wondering, 1K hrs on a set of blades?

I'd think the warranty should cover that! Man.....considering how much new blades cost these days, you'd expect them to last!! :laugh::laugh:
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

+1 on the Gator G-6 blades. The are the best all-around blade I have ever used...perfect balance between mulching ability and discharge velocity and they hold up well.

I would like to point out that using beaten up/worn out blades has likely cost you more money in the extra effort required to get a quality cut than if you had just replaced them sooner.