1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I think it's time for new blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I have been mowing slower the last 50 hrs of use and the vibration has increased. Still cuts good but just gotta mow slower. I will post pics Thursday and usually I am picky with safety and image and these blades are just done. The bike accident set me back in life and I was going to change the hydro fluid for the first time even though the hydros work perfect still and aren't loud like most other ZTR's. I always changed the oil and waxed the mower but gotta get the serious stuff done asap.
  2. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

OP claims he used original blades for 1000 hours?

This site has really gone downhill. I have no idea how some of these "landscapers" remember how to walk, much less run a business.

I hope he was kidding, otherwise there's just no hope for these hacks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Wouldn't a hack go through blades quicker since they don't know how to raise a deck when going over roots/rocks? I pick up sticks before I mow, hacks run over sticks with their mower. Maybe I should post some of the lawns I do and show how good the blades do. I see some guys that have $14K mowers with new blades that don't know how to sharpen them correctly and they go full speed with blades that have that " flat wall" affect from sharpening them wrong. Things last for me because of doing things correct and taking care of it. My blades are ok in the front but the lip area is just junk now.
  4. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

You're that tight on money that you can't buy new blades which is what makes you money in the first place? Boy, basic maintenance has to be factored into your rates.

Ebay is great and you can get nice bulk discounts, the way to go!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Tcartwri

Tcartwri LawnSite Member

I ordered a set of aftermarket blades off of one of the bigger eBay sellers last year, and I got no more than 60 hours out of them and they were DONE. Complete waste of money and time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I used Baily's which sales a ton of blades.
  7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Solo, check your Pms
  8. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Even in the most perfect mowing conditions every time you mow, I don't see how you can get 1000 hrs out of a set. I don't see how the blade tip can stand that many sharpenings. Say your sharpening every 10 hours. That's 100 sharpenings. If you sharpen every 20, that's 50 sharpenings and that's pushing it. Even 10 hr interval is pushing it for me.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bs on this claim.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Most people have better things to do with their time then figure out if their lawn looks crisp or not. If you can save $60 a year by not buying new blades then over 100 years that is $6,000 in your pocket. The last time this kid checked $6,000 will go a long way in the beer store my man! :drinkup:
  10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Save $60 a year and compromise cut quality? Wow, you guys are sure setting the bar pretty low.
    Posted via Mobile Device