I think it's time for new blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Bar? :cool2::cool2::drinkup:

2. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

Lol Bumpmaster, how many guys do you know working for 100 years? I go through 1-2 sets a year normally, maybe 200-300 hours a set if I'm lucky. I'm with zack though, no way a properly maintained blade lasts that many hours unless you are barely crawling along all day and picking up anything that gets in the way at all. Still far fetched even then.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In for pics.

I'm looking for a deal on Exmark and Hustler 20.5" Wavy Mulchers. I used to get them for under $5 each. I realize those days are gone, but can't see them costing two or three times that. The Exmark OEM number is 103-0301. Oregon was 91-483.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I bet we find out he hasn't sharpened them :)

One thing I have found with blades is that over time they start to bend downward from the center hole a bit so that they are no longer flat/level.

I admit that I've been cheaping out a bit on blades myself lately and using some of my older sets which are still in good shape but I had set aside to put new ones on...but I assure you they don't have any cracks in them or pieces missing.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Talk about a blast from the past :eek::D Where ya been?

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I want to see a photo of the blades cant be any lift to them

I have a Customer has a DC and he came by wanting buy new blades His mower had 500 hrs on it and there was no lift and they was 1/2'' shorter then new ones

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Please try to keep your posts on topic :p

8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

In for pics of thousand hour blades.

And as a general statement, not necessarily to the OP......sharp blades in good condition are the single most important thing to maintain on your mower. They are the only part of the machine that actually makes contact with the grass. Picture a suped up high performance race car......on bald tires. Es no bueno.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo. Especially a notched hi-lift.
    No way will they get to a thousand hrs. (In correct form, I should add.)

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I pay $16 or so for each G6 that I buy. www.stonewelltrading.com