1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I think it's time for new blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, that could have been a deadly situation. Does he have any idea why the blade broke? Maybe vibration from running out of balance?

2. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

If you measure it, it broke off where you see the first line on the other side that raises the lift of the lip. Those few couple lines that were made from the company made this blade weak. This is why I don't want high lift blades I want a solid blade.

3. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Blades are $20-30 a set. I get three sets blades of blades per mower once a year and it costs me $170 bucks for two mowers for a whole year. It's dangerous running them for that long and I don't want a liability case, so I factor it into my maintenance costs and write it off on my taxes. Along with oil, filters, spare belts, plugs, you name it. I buy in bulk once a year and write it off, that way I have fewer records to file.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I may not understand exactly what you mean. Do you mean you want blades with a lower "sail", or solid blades with no notches that create the "fingers"?

5. soloscaperman

Not sure why I said that but I like the stock blades better. One day when I mulch up leaves I will try those high lift blades.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Don't buy Chinese blades and this won't happen.

7. soloscaperman

To some up on this POST I guess Ebay and jungle jim sells blades? I keep hearing about Oregon blades. They any good? What is the stock price for 52" Trivantge deck blades on a 2008 Exmark Lazer Z HP? I called my guy where I bought the mower and they went out of business in CT.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Your manual will have the stock part number for your blades and from there you can do an on-line lookup of blades that will match. I have a variety of blades for my 2003 Lazer Z HP, high lift, low lift, Gator and swap them depending on conditions and even double them up at times. I will be buying the Gator G6 blades for that mower soon...been running them on the Turf Tracer and very happy with them. There's an Exmark Dealer in Haddam and one in North Branford as well. Not sure where you are in CT.

I can probably even give you some of my worn-out blades which are 10x better than the ones you have. :laugh:

9. soloscaperman

Exmark in Southington is great too. I'm not joking I am tight on money and the season is kind of over soon. I need blades to last 8 large lawns per week till the year is over and I will keep using my friends mower with him on my other lawns. He was upset that I am working alone but the rod and 4 screws in my femur are ok so far and the freakin Wine warehouse that I work nights at don't want me back because I am a high risk with my leg. idk I did 2 yards of river jack rocks in a huge wheelbarrow up a hill without problems.