I think its time you found someone else...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalCareSolutions, Apr 26, 2003.

1. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Finished talking with a customer and walked a short distance to another account, where my guys and truck had moved to. A Zorzia lawn ($45 @25 min) that really is still hibernating ( me thinks). It gets shabby so we tried to begin to maintain several weeks ago, but the customer insisted we wait. Took the oppurtunity to recommended the Pre-M, De-thatch, 'Dance a Jig', anything to get rid of some weeds and get things on track. "No, No my husband will take care of all that!" 3 year customer, 70+ lady, fully aware, great relationship....blah..blah. Today, she tells me her husband "doesnt like a mark the Z-Rider leaves along a small bank and wants a smaller mower ("ok") And...........we want a push mower on the rest of the lawn as well, bagged! My husband says....your big mowers are cutting the weeds and just spreading them around...and you know im on the fixed budget, cant pay anymore" ...blah..blah

I smiled and told her "its probably best for both of us if she just found someone else, lets go guys".

She was still standing there as we drove away. The business could afford a few more little concerns, but to go from a 52" and a 36" to 21" bagged Zorzia, she left me no option (me thinks)
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I think you did right.

$10 say's you get a call back in a while.
  3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes thats how it goes, you hate to lose the business, but for the added time it would add it simply wont be worth it. they probably wont find anyone else to do it how they want for the same money as you (at least not for long) you will likely get a call back, just stand your ground you did the right thing.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean Zoyzia or Zoysia grass?

Just tell her that those "extras" are going to cost her.

Either I can continue to care for your lawn the way I have for 3 years for this price, or I can do it YOUR NEW WAY with smaller mowers for THIS price. ALWAYS let price speak. Money is the universal language!!
  5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I thought we were screaming the universal language. As noted, we had a decent relationship, the customer knew I was going to charge more, one of my guys had even mentioned it as I walked down...and I knew she wasnt prepared to pay more, somtimes you get to know.... ya know?

I get your point and agree 100%, calmly refigure the cost based on 'the terms of THEIR new agreement' and give it to them as tactfully as possible.

While they loaded, I told her, that her husband appeard to be shifting blame as to why the lawn didnt look great, and I didnt want to be under that limb when it broke. She turns down every recommendation........ it was just time to move on.

.........But you hate losing any profitable 3 year account.

Oh well....Onward
  6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have done the same thing, infact I did a few weeks ago a customer was trying to tell us how to do a clean up..I figured this was going to be a problem everytime we mowed, every week. So I did the same thing.........See Ya!
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

We all need a reality slap in the face every now and then. It can help us remember that we aren't just the "LAWN BOY". We care for lawns, making suggestions and trying to do the most for the customers dollars to make a very nice place for them.

Some people have no clue and think we are dumb, only out for their money and could care less about their yards, plus have no education about the real needs or turf grass or how to handle weeds the effective way.

Just tell them thanks but no thanks and walk. They will get the big picture soon enough.

Thats the best part about owning your own business. We CAN choose who we work for and who we dont. Thats a really nice perk I think! ;)

Dust off your shoes and get on to the next one.
  8. And we all know this BS line...............

She wanted you to do it for the same price.

Adios, like you said.

I do think like Scott suggested and betted $10, she will call again, to "feel out" a new LCo is a pain in the heinie.
  9. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

even though they have been a customer for three years i think you made the right decision
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

You would have been the fool if you bagged it with a 21" push mower. I think that most, if not all here would have made the same choice. It is alot of the old folks that pull that type of krap.

You should have got a little jab in while you were at it. "good luck to ya", "I'm off to accomodate more appreciative customers"