I think my hydro is dying?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 6, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I was finishing up a lawn when one wheel (on my Lazer) decided it only wanted to go about 2 mph... It still moves but very slow.

Is it a hydro pump or wheel motor or something else? Is there something I can check to verify?

:( :( :(

2. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

how long ago did you change the filter? have you changed the fluid recently? is the fluid low?

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the belt first to make sure its not slipping.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

The fluid level is okay. I haven't changed the fluid or filter lately. The belt appears to be in good shape with proper tension. If it were the belt.. wouldn't it effect both wheels?

There is what I would describe as a slight chatter sound when pushing or pulling on the lever...

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The belt can slip on one pulley and not the other. Is the by pass valve on the pump closed and not slightly open?.

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Sounds to me like a motor pump is going, take it in and see if they can get it to speck's, I had one slow down like that on a 10yr old walk hydro and it was the pump, Im a machinest and have worked on many hydro's and pump's , I can get a rebuilt kit at Brake Supply for 16 dollars, but you need to tear it down because if its wore the Lands out and you see metal youll need to order parts....Youll also have to replace the Wheel Motor.....Marks Mowing Service