1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i think my round-up leached on my lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass disaster, May 30, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have rocks around my house and i went around one day dan pulled all the weeds then i went around and laid a beed(so to speak) around my edging.

well wouldn't you know it down hill in one spot it looks like it leached and is killing some lawn.

the area is probably 2'X3'.

what is the best solution here? should i water the heck out of it?? then in 2 weeks if it doesn't grow.... reseed?
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if it died from the round up it wont come back. but you dont have to wait to reseed, the round up wont effect the seed
  3. grass disaster

will soaking with water get the old grass to come around?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No In A Week Or Two You Can Pull The Turf And You Will See It's Gone Just Get The Seed And put it a little under the dirt and water..
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Round up doesn't work through the soil. It is a contact only herbacide. Roundup actually works only on green folage by stopping photosythisis thus killing the plant. If an area next to were you sprayed died it was form drift. and spraying after you pull the weeds will do nothing to kill them or stop new weeds. That is if you are using actual glysophate or roundup. there are som other brands of nonselectives that could do what you said.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Glyosphate is a salt and as such translocates to the apical meristem of the plant and begins to desiccate cell structure, it does not inhibit photosynthesis as photosynthesis is still occurring.
    This is why it works so well on turfgrass plants, and trees as a contact only herbicide and not on sedges or legumes.
    Also why it is so very lethal to aquatics and fishes due to the salt concentration.
  7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You would have had to pour a large amount of round up out, and it run down hill in a puddle for this to have happened in a 2' by 3' area. It could have easily been drift, but is this the only spot? If you were going around your house, it is funny that it drifted really bad only in one spot. How long of a bead were you laying? Is there a dead trail from the rocks to the dead area? What were you using to apply? Backpack?
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just another sidenote,...look and see what type of "Roundup" it is. If it is some of the newer Roundup "Pros", then it will have additional salts in it (like for the "season long" control). If ths is the case, give up trying to reseed, and remove some of the topsoil and replace.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

did u leave a trash bag in the spot that is dead? in the hot sun or that was in the bed with the roundup then set on the lawn?
  10. grass disaster

now that i look at it some more, it does look like overspray.

it is only in one spot. i must have got carried away with the wand