1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I think my trailer is to big for my needs...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rizzo, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just started last fall and for my first trailer I found a used 7x16 enclosed. I'm finding that I'm more comfortable doing residential service since I'm only part time and the trailer is a bit large for some of the older narrow streets and parking is premium. What do you guys do that have these types of routes? Should I sell it and get a smaller enclosed or open trailer? It is nice to just park it when I'm done and leave the gear secured. For the equipment I currently have there is enough extra room in the trailer for a workshop. No intentions of growing this business either. Any thoughts?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dont sell it. You never know what might happen. You say you have no plans to expand, but someday something may force you to. Other than that, just lots of uses for an encolsed trailer. The security factor being big, I would keep it evan if its alittle bit of overkill.
  3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

the way i look at it is;" i rather have to big of a trailer then not enough when i need it." like it was stated above. 4 more feet ain't that much or of a difference IMO.
  4. Rizzo

from Iowa

4 feet is alot when trying to squeeze into an old neighborhood with on street parking. It also has to do with the width. I store the trailer on a parking pad that was dug out below grade so I have garage on one side and retaining wall on the other. It's a very tight fit with only a few inches on each side for wiggle room. I have caught the fender on the retaining wall a few times. Plus this trailer does not have a ramp door and I hate dealing with the aluminum ramp each time.
  5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that enclosed is nice for storage but if you had an open trailer you could get your own mulch and top soil. I used a 16ft x 7ft open last year and also hated driving on small streets or blocking driveways. I purchased a sur-trac 12ft x 5ft with 2ft sides and love it. I can make u-turns at cross streets if needed and it fits everywhere. Hope it helps.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

What you wanna sell your enclosed for you have now??
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i'll buy it we use a 7x18 open and still don't have enough room
  8. Rizzo

from Iowa

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm upgrading from a 6 X 12 open to a 16 ft open. 12 ft definitely not big enough, however I totally understand the whole small road thing. I hate roads without a bulb or culdesac on the end. I don't know how many times Ive had to reverse a km or 2 down a road lol.

10. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

don't sell it..........you'll regret when you do......