I think that I have had it with Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I can not even tell you how many triggers were broke this year on our line trimmers. Up until this year I have been pretty pleased with the Echo (especially for the price).

I borrowed a buddy of mine Stihl this year a few times. Man that thing had some juice. I am thinking about switching to that brand starting next year. I know that they are considerable more in price. Are they worth it? What would be a good every day model from Stihl the 110 or the 130? We are using SRM230's and they seem really light on power to the Stihl my buddy has.

Thanks...

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have used mostly Echo, and my experience has been really good. But I HAVE had to replace several on/off switches, 2 or 3 pull starters, the motor mounts on my 602 backpack blower. That is over a period of about 7 years.

When I started out I wouldn't pay the prices of the higher end brands, and maybe I am happy with the Echo, just because I put up with too much Homelite, Craftsman, and so forth for a few years.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Rob, Make the switch and don't look back. I was talking last season to my Stihl dealer about the FS100RX's and he said you get the same power out of the FS90's with a little less $$ out of pocket, a solid drive shaft also not that much of a weight difference. The FS90 is going to be my main trimmer come spring and my Echo SRM2601 is going to become my back up trimmer.

Rob

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have the FS90s and I like them. They have plenty of power. I used a FS130 as a demo when I had a minor glitch with my FS90, and for the price of the FS90 compared to the FS130, I am very pleased. There was not much of a price difference between the FS90 and the FS110, I think about $20-30. I was kinda price conscience, dropping about $1200 in one day on trimmer, edger and blower, so I went with the 90. Either is very good and I am happy with my FS90...

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I am in the process of switching all my hand-helds from Echo to Stihl. I break at least 1 trimmer trigger/yr. I don't get much more than 1 yr out of any of the Echo trimmers I have had. My Echo blowers go about 1 yr also. I had an Echo backpack blower that went up in flames ON MY BACK, at about 3 mo.
    I bought a Stihl stick edger 3 yrs ago, it runs as well as the day I bought it, Only thing I've done is replace blades and fuel. My brother(who also operates a lawn business) switched to Stihl blowers this year, I am blown away by the power, weight and durability. (No pun intended) There's going to be a lot more orange on my trailer next yr.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes you can just happen to experience an unusual string of breakdowns.

I had 20 years without a flat needing the jack to come out, then, last summer, I had 2 flats five minutes apart, plus 3 more within 6 weeks. All in the forest near here.

And I've been on gravel roads all my life.

No explanation for it.

At least Les Schwab the tire dealer here replaced them all with new ones, and it was not even covered under warranty.

Anyway, the point was unsual strings of breakdowns.

Sometimes, it can make you feel better one way or another, to switch for a while.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Thanks All.

Last year I think we broke like 2 triggers. This year I think we are looking at like 5 or 6. I think that I may start with one next year and see how it goes.

Rob(Lazer Z) how did you make out this year?

Thanks again all.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I did pretty good this year. It was a little stressful at times but, really when isn't running your own business a little stressful. I picked up 3 new property's in Oaklyn one stop for all 3. I'm just looking ahead to spring right now, doing a little planning and thinking. Thanks for asking.

Good luck next year.

Rob

P.S. What Stihl blower did you try out was it the BR600?

9. BRAD ROMEO

BRAD ROMEO LawnSite Member

110 4 mix lots of power light does the job

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Actually it was a trimmer that I borrowed from Shawns Lawns in Washington Township. I did get a new Blower though. I picked up a 7001 this year up at Laurels. Glad to hear that this year was good for you. I finish up tomorrow.

I think that I may go with the 110. We have a dealer right here around the corner from us.