I think the brand name recognition...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 20, 2006.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

How many accounts do you service? Ballpark it.
  2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

3. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

How long before you got this big? Are you thinking that this is the year to make money because alot of your bigger purchases (i.e. mowers trucks, etc) are now paid off? And being a subscriber to the "spend money to make money" theory what has been the hardest obstacle? Sorry for all the questions...I am a big believer in the same theory, I would appreciate any pit falls you mave have learned from in the process. Thanks.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks real good DFW..why are your crews grossing so little per day?Are you running 4 -2 man crews and EACH are grossing 600 per dAY? OR all your crews put together are only grossing 600 per day?
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DFW, why not look into a business consultant. Some one thats independent and could possibly show you where your loosing money or where and how you could be making more money with the assets you already have. One of our local "big boys" in lawn care I know has done this and it seems they have exploded in two years.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

DFW -

I want you to know this. I've been reading your posts, trying to get this game of lawncare figured out.

Sometimes it's seems that you're real frustrated with all the effort you're putting in, and seeing nothing in return.

Hopefully, those trucks you've got are getting paid off fairly soon, hopefully you're getting some equity built up in the business.

A question I have for you. Do YOU make any money??? Meaning, do you clear a wage, and then the company doesn't make any money?? Or do you yourself not make any money??

IMO, if your business only shows $1 profit at the end of the year, but you've pocketed $50k, that's not bad.

The more your company shows as clear profit, that's just more that you have to pay in taxes anyways.

It took me 8 years to finally start showing a profit.

I too was always buying more to spend more. Or is that spend more to make more. :dizzy: :laugh:

Anyways, I'm going on to year 18 now. About 4 years ago, I had 7 guys working for me, (2) 3 man crews, 1 floater for when people didn't show up.

I was making money, but the headaches weren't worth it.

I went back to working by myself. Everything had been paid off at the time and I only kept the lawns that were the easiest and pay the fastest / best.

I went from (130) 2+ acre accounts to 30. I'm now NETTING more than I did with the workers I had, and have newer (IMO) nicer stuff.

I guess my post is, if you get to the point where you decide you don't have any money making potential in this job, where you business doesn't make any money, make sure you look at it, run your numbers if you went back to running solo. You'd be surprised how the numbers have changed if you've had people get you the equipment that you really need to get an easy job done fast.
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the company is all 'daddy bought'....? Who knows?
    Reading your home page website for residential, I wounldn't hire you.
  8. captken

take that back.

I just looked at your "homepage" I wouldn't hire you on principal....too many conditions you state.
    Maybe a change in policy would do you a world of good. :hammerhead:
  9. captken

10. captken

Attitude is everything. Look over YOUR conditions of employment....in regards to your customers.

Just my opinion, constructive criticism. I want you to suceed...