I think the grass needs a quick mowing

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i get a call from a PITA client who i did a cleanup and seding for about 2 months ago. she calls today and said "i think the grass needs a quick mowing" she wanted it done by 10:00 am tomorrow, i said i could do 3pm no earlier, she says "you can't do it sooner?" i said NO!. i went by at about 8:30 tonight to see what i was up against, the grass is super tall and i don't know if my 21" can handle it, the lawn is soo full of rocks that i wouldn't dare take my broadmoor on the lawn. so i will also talk to her about getting on a weekly schedule or bi-weekly schedule, if she doesn't want to then i will get rid of her before i even touch that lawn.

would you guys do something different?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Hope you didn't quote a price over the phone!

I would do this (since you have seen what you are up against)
    Call her tommorow morning, tell her you can have it done 10am (if you can)
    I'm not sure how big the prop is but I would charge a minimum of $60 and that would be for the smallest of postage stamp properties.

Simply put, the grass is way to high and you need emergency service AND you are not a regular route customer. If she knows your quality of work is good, she might pay! JMO

3. mike lane lawn care

theese are the cheapest of people. the husband walks around smoking his pipe, going "i hope you aren't going to leave without taking that branch that fell" after i saw him pull it down. they also love the "while you're here" routine. i wouldn't be supprised if they asked for me to install a pool by sunday.

4. mike lane lawn care

oh this morning they just called. she said that the lawn could wait another week, i said "sure okay" but come next week when they call, i will tell them that the grass is too high for the 21" and i wouldn"t dare use the braodmoor on this lawn because of the rocks in it. and they will have to find someone else.

and the kicker is that in a few more weeks they will call back becaue nobody will give them their acceptable price. i'l just tell her that if she really wants it done cheap, walmart sells push mowers for $90

5. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to say, I think your 21" 's would of handled it. Unless the grass is over 4ft, I have cut some thick 3.5ft grass side discharging it with my Toro personal pace. It was bogging, But got the job done.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Just leave that lawn alone. If you already know that they are a pita account then I wouldn't even consider it unless you NEED the money really badly.

7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with BCSTEEL leave it alone, the problem with PITAS is they never get better and some times get worse over time, the classic is its only "4 foot high" dosnt need mowing yet.

"Oh and by the way while you are here can you do this and that" is classic PITA talk as i think you already know.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, at least double the price of normal, 60-70 dollars or so for that 1/4 acre lot and more if it's bigger. I said at least, I wouldn't be afraid to say 90-120, but call her tomorrow morning around 9am and tell her the price before you do anything or you might get skru'd.

I wouldn't get smart with a pita, every once in a moon it slips but most of the time, I just quote what I gotta get for this bs job and it's over at that point in time. That's what you want to do, quote her like x3 the normal price next time she calls while she's still on the phone. You really need to go high on the quote, high enough to where if she says YES then it is worth your while, and high enough where if she says no, she will not call you again. Then if she says oh ok, 90 dollars? Ok, I have to think about it ... And then if she calls you 2 weeks later again, quote 180.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Life gets a lot easier when you learn to say "No"..... This is not a regular customer, you're not obligated to do anything for them much less by 10am. If all the red flags are there just say no.

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i can smell trouble from here