i think u made a mistake on my bill...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 5, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, im glad its finnally over. seeding that is. we finished up all of our thatching, aerating, and seeding on friday. i had alot of customers call and say, "go ahead and aerate/seed, etc..., and just bill me." well, i did just that. what i didnt do was call them all back and give them a price, i just did the work. well, when i sent out the bills, some of these people were shocked. one lady in particular, piece is 5k. we charged $85 per k to thatch, powerseed, fertilize, and dispose. her bill came to $425 plus tax. she called and said, "i think u made a terrible mistake on my bill....." after talking to her, she somehow expected to pay $100 for this service. shes a new client(started this spring) and has requested additional service in the past without asking for a quote first( trimming, etc), and we never had a problem. she says her last 10 guys only charged her $75-$125 for this service. i told her the same thing i tell my wife, i dont want to hear about the last 10 guys. was it very wrong to do the work without a quote first? all of my clients recieve a standard price list at the beginning of the season with quotes on everything. two more months and its over boys...and girlz

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds steep to me bobby, and yes, I would have told her (being new and all) abouit how much it was going to cost her for everything.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

2 months and what's over?

I couldn't charge that much on a 20,000 sg ft yard down here!

Any ya'll wonder why some of us just mow blow and go:dizzy:

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bobby why not switch to fiction writing. Maybe you can get a comedy on TV about an incompetent LCO. It would be just about as good as any other comedy on TV. You got plenty of stories where you twist the facts to make you turn out like an incompetent LCO.

Twisting the facts in this story is you don't tell them how much it will cost them before you do the work and then how much you charge them is way out of line.

I doubt anyone with LCO experience believes your stories but post to humor you.

Keep the stories coming.

:D :D :D :D :D

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing against you but I would definitely be a little scared of handing a bill to a mowing customer for $425 for work that had no prior mention of price. Now I know that there are some customers that it doesn't matter to but I would guess that it would matter to the majority of my customers. I usually don't like to do or don't do anything over $100 without a prior talk about price w/ most customers. However, I do have some that I do work for and will get up to $1,000 but I know that they can handle it w/out any shock. In fact I did a landscape planting w/ 28 container plants last Monday right around $1,000 with no prior mention to price but the customer did understand what they were getting and what it was to cost since we replanted the entire front yard.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Always, always, ALWAYS discuss price on any add-ons and upsells. The only time price MAY not be a factor, is when you've done the identical service before for that customer, and they know what the cost will be. Even then, you may want to quickly mention it. I just soirt of squeeze it in, then move on in the conversation. "We're probably only looking around.....but we're doing this, this, and that, which will greatly benefit this or that because of this or that." Then, move on in the conversation.

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would have told them first. I tell everyone the price before starting work if it is over $150. Even if they tell me to just do it and send me the bill. Except this one guy, he really doesn't care how much the bill is as long as I do the work and his lawn looks great. Sent him a $1200 bill a month ago and he cut the check and I got it in the mail two days later with a note that asked me to do about another $1000 of work and to just"send me the bill" You should know who you can deal with like this and who you need to talk to about their bills and estimates.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Should have told them the price up front. Because you did not, if they refuse to pay what are you going to do, take them to small claims? Judge will laugh, you'll look less than competent, it will get in the papers and you'll lose in the long run. Take the 100 bucks, walk away, drop the customer and learn from it.
    End of story.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to agree that the $425 seems kind of high. But to be honest with you, if they don't ask for an estimate or price up front, I don't give them one.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I personally don't quote on current clients unless it is twice the mowing price. (I.e. I mow joe for 45 a cut average 4 cuts a month = 180 There fore I would discuss anything over 350. )
    My only exception(sp) to this rule are those over 65. No offence to the seiniors but they have the problem of remembering when it only costs such and such and are fixed on those prices. I find this to be true because around that age most are retiring or retired and living on a fixed income. Fixed incomes suck for the service provider since unless they have an exorberant amount in the bank most live within there means. Which means very few extras. (no pun intended!)
    Any ways in my area I probably would have billed 225. 40 power seeder, 45 thatcher, 15 for seed, 15 for fert, dump fees, and labor 35 hr per man. figure 2.5 or 3 including dump time.
    Good luck.