1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Thought Everyone May Get A Kick Outa This

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Kkane97, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

Back in 2010 I had only 3 accounts and pushing my only 21" mower with my blower in one hand and my trimmer balanced on top of my mower was just way to hard. I watched craigslist for a week or so and picked up a garden trailer with a bent hitch for $20 I fixed the hitch by heating it and whacking with a hammer and voila! a perfect landscaping trailer. Me being 13 at the time I had no other wheels besides my bike and my sisters old bike, so naturally I "sacraficed" her bike to become my "truck". I drew up a simple hitch in sketchup and had a friend weld it up for me. I towed this trailer all over town and got some weird looks but it worked great for me!

I thought you older people in the business may get a kick out of it, or maybe some other young kids like me would get some inspiration to make something like it on their own!

2. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

Ingenuity, I like it! Good to see more young guns working hard.
  3. Kkane97

Thanks A.T.T. ! I realized this year that my 33" walk behind would be just a LITTLE bit to hard to tow around :p
  4. Kkane97

I found a couple pics of the hitch attachment before I mounted it on my bike :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

KKane-we used a troybuilt for several years...just had to reinforce the handles and replace the blades often-go get a scag, you'll be so happy you did
  6. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweet!Thumbs Up
  7. Kkane97

Hey Weekend thanks for the input my plans for this season are to get a bigger and newer mower at the end of the season. As this is my first walkbehind I wanted to go small to try it out then upgrade :). I have noticed what you said about reinforcing the bars, do you have any ideas on doing so?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Kkane97

Sold this hitch the other day for 50 bucks :waving:
  9. Bowhog1

Bowhog1 LawnSite Member

If gas keeps going up do you think you could build me one to handle a 6 x 12 trailer ?
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't hesitate to use something like that, even though I have a truck. I've been known to show up to estimates on my bike if it's local and to show up in a station wagon if that's all I need for the job.

When I was a teen I pulled the family push mover around town...one hand on the mower and one hand on the bike handlebar with a 1 gallon gas can bungie corded to the mower handle.

My son was doing yard work out of his Mazda Miata over the summer. Split-boom multi-tools fit fine in the trunk.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012