1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I thought I would post some good news

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sunstate Lawn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

I've thrown up a couple of posts lately about challenges I've faced stepping into my first community. I thought I would also let you know that community is VERY happy with the performance of my crew. The frst day they were on site they spent six hours just picking up trash that the old LCO had never touched. That made an immediate first impression to about 700 homes. I've gotten quite a few emails thanking me for doing such a thorough job. :clapping:

It's time to treat the crew.:drinkup:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

GOOD JOB!!!!!
    It's all about the details.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice...its awesome when people realize a job well done. Good job, keep it up.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations, it sounds like you've already landed you're first commercial account for only having just started your business ... that's great !!
  5. Sunstate Lawn

Thanks! The management company is really happy as well. They have already asked us to bid bid on another community. We started this company with intention of not doing residential.
  6. shopmanual

shopmanual LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey, if they want you to do residential, take it. Sounds like you're off to a great start. There really is nothing like get a job well done from a new employer.
  7. Sunstate Lawn

Sorry, I should clarify. We don't consider common areas of a community to be residential. If someone who lives in the community wants a lawn mowed we'll do it, but I don't want to drive all around town to mow one persons lawn for 20 bucks. Most of our work now is for management companies and HOA's. PITA, sure, but if you have one person that's not me acting as point for all these people, then communication becomes a non issue.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

that just goes to show you that sometimes people " other co's " get lazy
  9. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I do want to let you know that if the property management company is having problems collecting dues from homeowners they will hold your invoices until the account is at a point where they can start to pay those invoices out.
    I just ran across this with two of my property management companies this year. HOA dues were due at the first of January and they were having problems collecting so around the November time frame the account ran low. This caused the property management company to hold my invoices. They eventually paid me around the middle of January when more dues came in but it put me a tight situation for a while.
    Make sure your contract has late fees that are strictly enforced and make sure you have enough capital to hold you over for at least three month in case you run into the same issues.
    I had to go through these issues to see why many veteran on this site suggest not getting involved with commercial work until you are really ready.

Im not trying to discourage you just wanted to give you a heads up so you can prepare yourself for the worst. It seems as if you doing well and I hope this continues.

Good luck