I thought the economy was bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coxslawncare, Apr 23, 2010.

1. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

Picked up 4 new yards today takes me up to 17 new accounts for the year. I was busier last year than I had ever been also. I have completely cut out advertising because the calls keep coming either way. Hope everyone else is having the same success. I have actually been the same price or higher on every one of the yards I got that the customer told me what they were paying but they were fed up with people how didn't show up on time, poor quality ect.
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I and my buddies are both experiencing the same thing. The phones won't stop ringing off the hook.
  3. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddies and I.
  4. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

I started my business 2 years ago. Even then the economy was slow. With just a newspaper ad for 8 weeks a year and word of mouth I am up to 42 lawns, with a few fert accounts and alot of extra work I do for my customers and one timers. I have never had a prolem getting work. This year I expanded again and already have a few extra jobs lined up. I provide good quality work at a decent price, but I provide excellent customer service. I answer my phone and return messages immediatly . I am on time and prompt, and when I say it will get done by a certain date, I always get it done sooner. I believe those factors lead me to a successful business. The economy might have slowed things down, but a good business will still be able to survive if they are good.
  5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe your sentence is a fragment. :laugh:
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, for the first time in a bit I just started to actually turn down some work,
    and in ways I hate to do it but we all know the kind...
    That kind.

Tell you one thing thou, we're a long ways from being out of the woods...
    And at least for myself, I think I'm going to really try and work things different this
    time around, rather than go on a wild upswing to be followed by a deep depression
    I believe there must exist a way to sail through on some kind of a level.

Why, I'd rather not make the BIG bucks in favor of having more work during the hard times that inevitably follow.

And I know nobody wants to hear this, but after the economy recovers?
    Some years down the road yet, but one day after it gets going real good, it will crash again.

Again it may not be the news anyone wanted to hear, but that little bit of wisdom helps me a lot.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  7. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

I've been doing this for 6 years now and for whatever reason it is easier to sell a job now than it was when I started. Good business practices will carry you a long way. To all the new guys be dependable and do good work and you should make it in this business, unless your in my area then keep driving them all to me...lol
  8. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at your equipment list how does a 20 year old with the expense of going to college and just 2 years in the lawn care business afford all that new equipment starting with the $8000.00 Kubota ZG227?
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I wished I had these problems here! I have lost 4 accounts that total 839 a month in the past week and the phone ain't ringing!
  10. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

same here. i started out really really slow due to all the lowballing morons cutting throats on the comm'l bids but the residential segment has been huge. we got a few large comm'l contracts to make up for the lost ones and we're ahead of where we were last year.