I told a fib

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

This pain-in-the-keister customer originally wanted a quote for edging only. You heard right, nothing but edging.

So I left a quote in the door for just edging and for the whole enchilada, mow/edge/trim. Meant it as a qoute for signing up.

She calls Wednesday, says she wants m/e/t again. I tell her no way before Thursday, most likely Friday. I get there yesterday, and the grass is a** high to a horse. She says she's sorry it's so deep, but if I'd got there sooner...

I get it edged and it starts raining. All night last night I'm thinking I want nothing to do with this unit. So I call today and tell her my truck is on the fritz.

The beauty of being self employed is the ability to blow off an idiot, even if you have to fib about why. Life is good!

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would be a man, and tell her I don't want to do it, and for her to find someone else, instead of lying. Why lie at all? Did you not price it high enough? (still wouldn't make a diff.)
    I would rather be unemployed, and starving, that be self employed, and "blowing off" someone that you percieve to be an "idiot".
    I see the "beauty of being self employed" as being able to pick the jobs I want to do, and actually DO them (I'm happy, their happy,and the neighbors would deff. be happy having a better view to look at)
    Good luck staying in the business.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

BUT, now instead of staying up thinking all night about her, you can stay up all night and wonder when the Karma is comeing back to haunt you, and your truck really will break down. Never under estimate Karma. (remember.... it's so easy to forget......what you give is what you get)

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I agree with Metro. Sounds like she liked your bid and decided to hire you. Why did you leave a bid if you don't want the work??? Chuck

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Mark,

Really, you shouldn't have lied to her, if you bidded to low just tell the customer. Maybe, after you mowed it the first time and got it cleaned up it would have turned into a good account. Maybe, she will be willing to pay a little more for the first cut just ask. But not being honest may come back to haunt you.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah better watch for that karma, and the boogie man. Sleep well, you dont have to edge the forest anymore.

7. amar

amar LawnSite Member

You guys are to kind. So ill spell it out for you, you SUCK mark.
    Guys like you are whats wrong with this world. One lie after another. Whats the point of lying just tell her you cant do it.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i say lying is good, sometimes. in fact, it's neccesary alot of the time.

9. amar

amar LawnSite Member

It's only necessary if your too scared to tell the truth.

10. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

word my man....