I told them-no fertilizer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Chris Lapinski, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Chris Lapinski

Chris Lapinski LawnSite Member

I received a post card from a local company to fertilize my 2 1/2 acre lawn, the free etimate was $240. I wanted only the weed & feed at the end of May, but needed to sign a contract for 4 applications which stated no time frame, and faithfully called to remind them not to fertilize the lawn. Because of my situation I asked them to call before they came-they didn't. The weed & feed application was striped, so they came back & redid the back yard. The weeds along the driveway never died until I treated them myself. My last phone call was 9/15 asking them to mark my account for the next spray for the end of May 2004. I fertiliezed my lawn on 10/29. Well without calling, on 11/24 they applied a slow release fertilizer on my sandy soil while it was snowing on gound that is starting to freeze. I called to complain that they made a mistake, she said a manager would have to call me back. Its been a week. and they haven't called me. I feel bad they they made a mistake, don't want to pay, but they can't suckup the fertilizer!! My only idea is to offer to pay in May if they only spray for the weeds and not put down any fertilizer. Does this seem fair. Any other ideas?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a bozo-run company. Did you document all your calls? You should not have signed a contract for 4 apps if you only wanted 1. I'd drop them like yesterdays trash and find someone who will do exactly what you want, when you want it. Your offer is more than fair.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look at your contract. In NH if the client requests pre-notification they must be called prior to the application or the applicating company can face a fine.

Also, Why would you have to sign a contract for anything but the one app you wanted? sounds shady to me, I woldn't pay them a dime.

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldnt pay. Not a single dime. And I sure wouldnt let them come back.
    I would also report them to as many agencys as I could.
    Its people like this that give us all a black eye.

5. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

I agree with KerryB. That is absolutely no way to run a business and very unprofessional. I would not pay nor would they ever be allowed back on my property. I couldn't imagine one of my customers accepting this kind of crap from me.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

As has been said..........Don't pay them a dime.
    This industry gets a bad rap as it is........refuse to deal with the people that make that happen.JMO.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I received a post card from a local company to fertilize my 2 1/2 acre lawn, the free estimate was $240. I wanted only the weed & feed at the end of May, but needed to sign a contract for 4 applications

Ok I’m scratching my head here I think there’s enough blame to go around you wanted one application but agreed to 4? Why did you do that that makes no sense? What it looks like to me was they were very pushy and gave you one option and you decided to accept rather then have another company give you an estimate.

What I also see was a lot of conditions placed on this contract by you Because of my situation I asked them to call before they came-they didn't. what situation is this? Also did you expect to pay 240 dollars or did you figure you would tell them not to show then expect the price to be reduced there by getting the contract that you wanted and they did not offer.

From what you’ve said they do very poor work and they have no customer relation skills at all. I think this is probably true I also think you need to learn to speak up at your original meetings and get your demands met then not try to do them passively by not honoring a unwanted contract thinking this was the easiest way to get what you want. If it had been me. You would have got your wish for one application. I'm thinking on that and I probably would of passed on the work not worth my time to chase 60 dollars if you know what I mean but on larger landscaping jobs I’m more then willing to work with the customer i.e. you.

I think you felt they would of passed as well which is why you went about it this way. As for the call first that’s another reason I would of dumped you on the spot when I am working I don’t have time to play that game it is always just a inconvenience if say I call and say ill be there Monday then that day comes and its raining and I have to call of the work say Tuesday I have a 2 day planting job planed and then Thursday Friday and Saturday I have lawns to cut and perhaps I have a big job planed for the following week all of sudden I am 2 or 3 weeks late in your mind in truth I’m not late at all but because you will not understand the workings of my business you will not cut me any slack and be calling me like crazy. Which is why once that starts you would be professionally told I’m sorry I cant not come. I'm not attacking you here I am how ever giving you some info so next year when you hire some one again you see it though there eyes and perhaps negotiate a better contract.

8. DAZED AND CONFUSED

DAZED AND CONFUSED LawnSite Member

THANK YOU KELLYS

PERFECTLY PUT

9. diago63

diago63 LawnSite Member

If I were in your shoes I would only pay for the application if they cam out and did it on the proper date and then gave you a free application. I know for a fact that if you demand this they will give you the free app. Some of the largest companies in the wrold were giving away free apps to any customer with a complant in 2003. So just inform then you are going else where and you will see you free app.

10. diago63

diago63 LawnSite Member

Hey there!
    I just had one question for you, how do you think one application is going to benifit your lawn? In my personal opinion one application is a waste of your time and money.. I know why they got you on four...that would be my lowest standard to turn your lawn around. The pure fact that your lawn is so big makes me think you need at least four. Also I hope you are not one of those on one year off the next year customers..That is a sure way to never have a nice lawn.