1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I too plan on leaving....just for a while though

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Jan 25, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, im looking to get out of the business for a while like eric, i am going to be going to college for landscape architecture either at UMass Rutgers or Cobleskill. I am wonder the best way to let people know that i am selling my business, as in other landscapers to try to sell them accounts or the whole business. I plan on getting out of college and either starting up again, but with alot more knowledge or go work for a larger company. at some point i plan on going out on my own again. I think im going to keep my truck and plow, but sell the enclosed and everything in it as well as the accounts.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It's gonna be harder for you to start back up when you NEED steady money coming in and have a family and stuff. with the economy the way it is I would want to be less dependant on someone elses job. Each to his own but thats why im not droopping everything we've built just to go to college, and get what society considers valuable and "succesful". give it some though man you seem you have a nice business already, oh and im assuming your my age 19 correct me if im wrong
  3. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

sorry forgot to mention, i just turned 18. Im debating keeping my equipment, but theres no way i can keep the business going while im in school. so i have to get rid of the accounts. and id like to get some $$ for the accounts to
  4. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

That sounds a little better to me. Get some easy cash for the accounts and keep your gear. I'd also send a letter to all you customers, telling them your plans for school and about the degree you're pursuing. That'll make it easier to win them back once you get out of school and want some quick cash again :)
  5. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

If I were you, and I planned on getting back into the business after school, I would keep the business, take night classes, online classes etc..and build your business, you can be bringing home 6 digit figures by the time you would have been done with college. But if your getting out of the business all together, then good luck and college is probably your best bet
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have managed too. I will be graduating next spring.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would hope your sights after graduation with a landscape architecture degree will be much greater than mowing lawns. Your time will be worth far more than chugging behind a mower or a shovel handle. The investment of money, time and effort to complete a degree in LA will easily be recouped doing professional work as a licensed landscape architect. Why would you consider making the investments, only to return to do the same thing as you have been doing for the past couple of years?

This does not mean sitting behind a desk with shirt and tie every day. There will be opportunity to be in the field. But, your capabilities will be not be challenged, nor will you grow in your profession, by returning to the same tasks. If your college education in LA school does not give pause to your thinking on this matter, the school has not done their job.

... been there, done that... ('59-64, architecture school, '64-66, graduate engineering school).
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

send me a pm and let me know where you are located.
  9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I too am interested in your location.
  10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

How much $$$$ do you want for the trailer, and rest of equip? I might be interested in buying, I'm right over in Allendale.