I tried the Stihl 4mix 600 backback today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jul 7, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Very quiet, easy to start seemed about equal to 7001. Any other opinions?

2. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

the 7001 doesn't even come close to that amount and the 8000 does not either with 688 cfm...the mph is 201 compared to a little more with the 8000...don't let the low noise of the 4 mix deceive youj and think you are getting less power..I will say that the BR 550 was not quite there in power but this 600 should be...I have an FS 110R trimmer and love it...I can use this thing without hearing protection if I wanted to as it is quiet compared to 2 stroke...I will say one thing though...I would hope that you are talking about the East Coast demo units, as the west coast does not have any yet...and none are for sale yet (about two weeks), as I just got off the phone with Wayne at Stihl and got the most current info on the unit...he said 712 cfm is accurate...

3. bwalker

bwalker LawnSite Member
    from MI

The numbers can be really decieving. there doesnt seem to be any indutry standard as to how the measurements are taken so its a crap shoot when comparing two units by the spe sheets only. I havent ran both, but a friend of mine has and he claims the 600 is indeed less powerful than his 8000.

4. dcplace2004

I guess we can only demo it and see...Hopefully the 600 is more powerful, cause I cringe when I think of going to the Redmax dealer here...it is not a good experience at all...The Stihl dealer here is wonderful...to me, a little loss of power compared to suckazz sales/tech support is worth me getting the Stihl...

5. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

It was hard to compare this thing was soooo quiet?

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I wanna know about the weight. Are they significantly heavier than the old 400 and 420?

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's 1.3 pounds heavier.

BR420 C 19.6
    BR600 20.9

8. dcplace2004

just because the engine is not screaming loud like the kawasaki trimmer at 96 freaking decibels does not mean it is not full of torque and power...

9. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if the 600 blower will have the same problems that the 110 trimmer and edgers are having by being a workhorse for a while and then completely shutting down....?

10. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

I've got a km110 4mix stihl edger, and it spends more time in the shop than on the trailer. It's also a little heavy. I think I will stay away from 4cylce as long as I can.