I understand its a holiday weekend, but....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, May 23, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: its been raining almost nonstop here in central jersey, mostly a steady drizzle, which seems worse than straight up rain. guys have been mowing right throught it, some guys have made total messes. i think id rather cut grass that was a little longer than come home to a rash of unpleased cutomer phone calls. all weve done the past 3 days is do mulch, just walkin across the lawns yoru feet are soaked, could'nt imagine doing any cutting throuh this. tony
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill be mowing saturday because we have had over 4"+ of rain in the last 36 hours.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

im calling in the guys for sunday.thats when the rain will end for one day.the rest of the week is going to rain until friday
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what we did: Wed - I use 3 mowing crews - 2 quit w/ downpour by 11:30, 1 was on break when heavy rain hit, so they were dry & mowed til 2:00 (double cutting a lot)
    Thurs - 3 crews again finished Wed list, all of Thurs list and 1 of 2 Friday lists (72 lawns in all in 9 hours)
    Fri - combined 2 mowing crews to beat rain (luckily we did 22 lawns by 12:30) Third crew did small commercial install w/ mulch & mulched 2nd comm. building (one guy got rider & w-b repaired too)

We're all caught up on mowing - way behind otherwise!!! Booked thru end of June w/ installs and mulch - will be up to our ears in alligators w/ pruning by then:D
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i hear ya bob, ive never been this behind with my sidework in a long time, saturday doesnt look good, hope the end is in sight, tony
  6. dtain22

dtain22 LawnSite Member

i feel all of you boys, i've been sitting here reworking every possible route to get the backed up lawns done once this weather drys up. it looks to me like next week is suppose to be a lot dryer for us though
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Luckily it finally stopped raining today and will be clear again tomorrow. I was pretty proud that I worked it so that I will get to all my properties before the end of the day Saturday, and those are the ones who aren't as picky. Mowing dry grass is soooo easy, I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

Yet still, after weeks of rain, including 4 of the previous 6 days, I had a fairly new customer call today, Friday morning, and say "I can't understand why you haven't showed up to mow my lawn!" The thing is, I mow it every Friday afternoon! Even with the rain, I was right on time. She sheepishly came out and said "ignore the message I left on your machine".

Sounds like this should be a real fun customer. I may go ahead and have a cancellation letter typed up and ready to go for when I need it. I'm sure I will soon. She was asking me to "mow it lower" last week already.
  8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man, those are the real fun ones too. ;)

Well it has dried out here and I can say proudly I am caught up. No work this weekend. Heck I can even have free time on Monday.

But they are calling for rain again here on Sunday and Monday. So you know what that will make next week like......:dizzy:
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

weve been cutting every day. sloppy, a little clumpy, but cut.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It's been raining here since Wednesday early afternoon. Looks like I'll be mowing on Saturday as well.